weekend

'Marigold Hotel' sequel full of charm

ENTER EXOTIC-MOVIE-REVIEW 1 MCT

‘The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel’

B

The first lesson of this film is to make any future films like it into a mini-series.

With quick-witted and highly energized acting mixed in with feel-good love stories and cool wedding dance numbers, “The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” was a film that had it all. In fact, it almost had too much.

Although I was aware of its predecessor, “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel,” I had not seen it. So going into the film, I wasn’t sure how much I would understand. About halfway through, I realized it probably wouldn’t have helped much anyway.

“The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” is not only a mouthful title, but a mouthful to explain.

It is the journey of the dream of Sonny, played by Dev Patel, to expand his hotel for the elderly into two. The hotel is located in India, but the majority of the residents are affluent British people.

To build a second hotel, Sonny must land the interest of an investor. His plan to do so is to suck up to a hotel inspector he isn’t supposed to know about. At the same time, Sonny must juggle the task of getting married to his supportive, although sometimes questionably over-flirtatious, fiancée, Sunaina, played by Tina Desai.

While all of that is going on, you have to follow the love stories and tragedies of the current residents. Evelyn and Douglas, played by Judi Dench and Bill Nighy, have found themselves out of retirement and back into the workforce, while also trying to awkwardly fall in love with each other.

Norman and Carol, played by Ronald Pickup and Diana Hardcastle, are trying to decide whether or not they want to become monogamous or just keep sleeping with whomever they can get their hands on.

Madge, played by Celia Imrie, is driven around the town of Jaipur by her admirable chauffeur, trying to decide which of the two rich guys who have proposed to her to marry, even though she doesn’t want to marry either one.

Out of all of these confusing and also easily-solvable problems that wouldn’t exist if these characters just had better communication, there is the great, amazing, talented and perfect Muriel, played by none other than Maggie Smith.

About 20 minutes into the film, I realized Smith’s character was my spirit animal.

As co-manager of the hotel, Muriel is often asked for advice by her irrational friends and co-residents, to which she replies, “My best advice is to not give any.” Then she makes a snarky and witty comment and walks off like the amazing person she is.

Though I do think this film has a lot happening in its two-hour running time, that’s not me saying it’s an entirely bad film.

I did enjoy it, and there was a lot of genuine laughter from myself and the theater audience, as well as moments where I thought I might cry.

It’s an emotional journey that takes you through life and love and, as Smith’s character proves, your family is more than just people you’re related to.

The film had a lot of charm and exuberance that made up for its misfires. Its multiple narratives were all tied up nicely in the end, giving the audience a sigh of happy relief after being guided down a winding emotional roller coaster.