IUSA addressed changes to election code

The IU Student Association addressed the upcoming election at an IUSA Congress assembly meeting Tuesday.

Members voted to approve changes to the election code.

The election code now states that at least one all-candidate meeting will occur the week after ticket applications are due. Each ticket must have at least one representative present at the all-candidate meeting.

The election code now also states the election will occur during the spring semester on any two consecutive days occurring on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. The election must occur at least two weeks after the first all-candidate ?meeting.

Members of the elections commission and volunteers for the elections commission will run polling stations at at least three locations. This will likely happen near the Woodburn clock tower, near Dunn Meadow and on the corner of Fee Lane and Tenth Street.

The ballot will identify each ticket and provide a brief overview of each ?ticket’s platform.

Changes also include reforms to the elections ?commission.

Under the old system, the elections commission was not placed under any given branch.

The IUSA president selected the head of the elections commission, who then selected the other four ?members.

These members then remained part of the elections commission for only one election cycle.

Under the new system, the elections commission is placed under the IUSA Supreme Court.

Members of the IUSA executive branch and the IUSA Supreme Court jointly selected the nine members of the elections commission.

These members will then remain part of the elections commission until they graduate.

When current members of the elections commission graduate, they will self-select new members to replace them.

The IUSA Congress, however, will have final ?approval.

Members voted to approve a resolution requiring all instructors to provide a course syllabus on or before the first class of the semester.

The course syllabus must contain the instructor’s name, email address and office hours.

The course syllabus must also contain a description of the course, an outline of the course’s topics, a statement on the course’s objectives, a list of the required materials, a description of the course’s grading information and an outline of the course’s policies regarding late work and attendance.

All instructors must provide a course syllabus by the end of the first class of the semester.

But they are encouraged to provide a course syllabus online before the start of the first class of the semester.

According to the resolution, “not having a course syllabus reduces a student’s ability to effectively meet course expectations and make informed decisions about adding or dropping courses.”

Members also voted to approve a resolution supporting the implementation of a bike share ?program.

The Transportation Working Group under the Office of Sustainability is considering implementing a bike share program capable of bearing related ongoing maintenance ?expenses.

According to the resolution, “A bike share program would effectively transport students throughout campus conveniently and ?efficiently.”

Students have already shown interest in a bike sharing program through their interest in and use of Crimson Cruisers.

Crimson Cruisers is a bike sharing program from the IU Office of Sustainability, the Transportation Working Group and IU Outdoor Adventures. This program recycles abandoned bikes and then loans them out to students each semester.

The resolution states that IUSA supports the Transportation Working Group in an implementation of a bike share program capable of bearing related ongoing maintenance expenses.

The resolution also encourages IUSA to conduct a student survey regarding a bike share program.