IU softball loses 2 of 3 against Rutgers

Senior Pitcher Lora Olson winds up for a pitch during IU's game against Rutgers Sunday at the Andy Mohr Field. IU lost 6-10.

IU hosted its first regular season series this weekend at Andy Mohr Field against Rutgers, a series in which it lost two of three games.

In the series opener Friday, the Hoosiers fell by a final score of 11-5.

The Hoosiers managed to set the tone early and get on the board first by plating a run in the bottom of the first inning on an RBI single from junior Kelsey Dotson.

After losing the lead in the top of the second inning, IU regained the lead after a four-run bottom of the second inning that was capped off by a bases-clearing RBI double from Dotson once again.

“We just kept focusing on the little things,” Dotson said. “We want to score the first run and get the momentum and just play a better well-rounded game, and we have been able to do that.”

Despite a 5-2 lead and all the momentum on their side, the Hoosiers let a seven-run third inning by the Scarlet Knights put the game out of reach with all runs coming on the final out.

Two more runs in the fourth and sixth innings sealed the victory for Rutgers, and IU dropped its Big Ten opener.

The two teams were back at it the next morning in game two of a three-game series. The game resembled much of the first game, but the outcome favored the Hoosiers, whose late game comeback gave them a 8-7 victory.

Rutgers came out swinging, scoring five runs in the first two innings to take an early and commanding 5-0 lead.

After the Hoosiers surrendered another two runs to fall behind in the fifth inning 7-0, a spark lit up the Hoosier dugout.

The Hoosiers led off the fifth inning with four consecutive singles, including RBI singles from freshman Rebecca Blitz and senior Brianna Meyer. An RBI single from senior Shannon Cawley cut the Rutgers lead to 7-3.

IU would add two more runs in the sixth inning off a Rutgers error and an RBI single from Meyer to make it 7-5, which set up the decisive seventh inning.

In the seventh inning with the bases loaded, a pitch hit freshman Taylor Uden, and Blitz walked to tie up the game. Sophomore Erin Lehman hit an RBI walk-off single to left field to secure a comeback for the Hoosiers.

“I think people have been stepping up with pitching, battling, defense,” Olson said. “We are feeding off each other’s energy, and we started rolling.”

The seven-run deficit was the largest comeback since the Hoosiers beat Ohio State last year. It ties the largest comeback for IU in 20 years.

Blitz paced the offense for IU by going 3-for-4 with two runs and two RBIs.

“These freshmen getting their experience in, it’s awesome how much they have evolved, and it’s cool to watch,” Olson said.

In the series finale, the Scarlet Knights scored first on a Hoosier fielding error in the opening inning.

IU took the lead back, however, in the bottom half of the frame on an RBI groundout by Dotson and a sacrifice fly from Cawley to make it 2-1.

Rutgers would go on to score seven unanswered runs, capped by a four-run fourth inning.

IU began yet another comeback by plating four runs in the fifth inning off a grand slam by junior Katelyn Conenna for the first home run of her career.

After Rutgers scored two runs in the sixth inning to make the score 10-6, the game was called on an agreement to end the game at 2:30 p.m. to accommodate the Scarlet Knights’ travel arrangements.

The Hoosiers dropped two of three this weekend and fell to 10-22 on the year. Up next, the Hoosiers will travel to Louisville, Ky., on Wednesday to face the ?Cardinals at 6 p.m.

“We have to go out and play our game,” IU Coach Michelle Gardner said. “Doesn’t matter who we play, we have to learn what they do.”