IU loses extra innings game against Furman

IU (2-3) lost Saturday 6-5 in 12 innings against Furman (3-3) in its second game of the First Pitch Invitational in Greenville, S.C.

It was IU senior closer Ryan Halstead who took both the loss and the blown save, both of which are first this season for him.

After a home run by sophomore Craig Dedelow in the top of the 11th gave IU a 5-4 lead, IU called on Halstead who already had two saves this season.

Both runs against Halstead were scored from RBI singles. There has now been at least one run scored every time Halstead has made an appearance, although once it was an unearned run.

IU left a total of 14 runners on base Saturday, including six in the first two innings when IU loaded the bases twice with two outs but failed to score any runs.

Sophomore Nick Ramos left five runners on base himself going 1-for-5, but his one hit was a two run home run in a three run fifth inning for IU.

Also homering for the Hoosiers was sophomore first baseman Austin Cangelosi, who tied the game in the eighth inning.

Cangelosi entered the game in the middle of the fifth and batted in senior outfielder Will Nolden. Dedelow then moved from first base to center field to replace Nolden defensively.

Dedelow made a then game saving diving catch in left center field to end the ninth inning.

Sophomore Christian Morris started the game for IU pitching five innings and allowing four runs on seven hits.

Sophomore Thomas Belcher pitched three innings of relief for IU not allowing a run and striking out four.

IU next plays Sunday at 11 a.m. against Xavier in its final game of the First Pitch Invitational.

Michael Hughes