IU Fashion design students host model call-out

Freshman Michaela Hillman walks in the model callout of Indiana University Fashion Design Show on Wednesday.

Students gathered outside of Union Street Center’s auditorium Wednesday evening, equipped with heels and camera-ready hair, in the hopes of catching the eyes of junior and senior fashion ?design students.

Designers from the Fashion Design III: Presentation & Analysis class held a model call-out for the IU Fashion Design show, which takes place April 9. Selected models will walk in the show and work alongside designers throughout the semester.

Other than wearing fitted clothing and heels, there were no stipulations as to who could audition or what applicants needed to prepare. As soon as they walked in, the models were given an information sheet to fill out with height, shoe size, bra size and other general information.

Although no prior experience was necessary, many applicants were not strangers to the ?modeling game.

“I modeled for a local swimwear company where I’m from,” said Keegan Holle, an IU sophomore waiting for her number to be called. “I’m not really nervous. I came to call-outs last year, but I’m sure once I get up there I will be.”

After each number was called, models headed toward the photographer to have both a front and profile shot taken. Directly following the photographer, a table of designers stood ready with pink measuring tapes to jot down various ?measurements.

The judging panel comprised five fashion design students from the class, and two videographers were placed on either side of the judges’ table to capture the models’ walks and poses. Models were not scored, but merely captured on camera and viewed by designers to gauge a sense of their walk and style.

A long succession of red curtains divided the room between the waiting area and the “catwalk.” Other than the few models on deck, only the judges and videographers were able to see the models during their audition. The division was instrumental in creating a sense of ease for applicants.

The relaxed, casual environment of the event was a far cry from the cut-throat atmosphere one might envision on popular television shows such as “Project Runway” or other dramatized versions of the fashion industry.

Although women dominated the scene, a number of men showed up for the ?call-out, as well.

“I’ve modeled a few times for a friend who does a lot of art photography, so it’s interesting to see opportunities like this on campus,” IU sophomore Bryant Mehay said.

“I plan to be the only guy wearing heels, though,” he said, sporting an extra tall pair of black heels and black socks to match. Mehay explained that he’s had a lot of practice, sometimes ?performing in drag shows.

With candidates of completely different shapes, sizes and experiences, the designers will have a variety of individuals to choose from. Some designers were looking for certain types of models, depending on the theme or mood of their collection.

“I’m doing menswear, so I’m looking for men,” said Cierra McNeal, a junior fashion design student. “I’m looking for someone manly, not too pretty, with a nice ?smooth walk.”

All of the designers are constructing three to five looks, so each will require three to five models. McNeal explained that some of the designers have considered sharing models.

Following the show, designers will deliberate next Monday to discuss the auditions and make their final decisions. Models can expect to be notified by their designers sometime next week.

“It has been a lot more efficient, and things seem to be running a lot more smoothly than last year,” said Gabriel Fickenscher, this year’s co-director of Fashion Show for Retail Studies Organization.

Fickenscher explained no one had been a returning host for the show last year, so this year it is helpful to have a few veterans in the process, herself included.

With a large team of dedicated, experienced designers and a soon-to-be team of carefully selected models, the sky is the limit for the quickly-approaching show ?in April.