IU Art Museum to host pre-Valentines event

As galleries around Bloomington gear up to celebrate Valentine’s Day, a few IU art hubs are planning their own collaboration.

Gamma Ut, a student organization of the Historical Performance Institute of the Jacobs School of Music, the IU Art Museum and IU Theatre, Drama, and Contemporary Dance will host an event that brings together the best of these art forms to celebrate an iconic romantic playwright this Friday at the museum.

Sarah Huebsch, director of music for the event, said the afternoon was put together to get patrons excited about the upcoming production of ?“Romeo and Juliet.”

“People should come for fun, free Valentine’s Day and ‘Romeo and Juliet’ related activities,” she said. “Audience members will hear music that would have been performed in Shakespeare’s day in a relaxed atmosphere.”

Kathryn Summerset, one of the vocalists performing at this event, said she wants people to experience Shakespearean works the way patrons back in his time would have.

“Shakespeare’s plays originally had music, every single one of them, and the actors would sing and musicians playing the lute and other instruments in all of them,” ?Summerset said.

Summerset said this event differs from other events in that it falls in line perfectly with this romantic holiday.

“There’s all these kind of Valentine’s Day events happening all around the town and this one is particularly unique, but it’s also quintessential love,” Summerset said.

Summerset said the value in staging this show is spreading a message of tolerance.

“When there’s so much controversy in this world right now, the symbolism of ‘Romeo and Juliet’ is eternally a great definition for love,” Summerset said. “That’s what Valentine’s Day represents: the love between two people against all odds.”

Huebsch said the event will also feature free drink samples, Valentine’s Day card-making and gifts perfect for couples.

The full show will take place February 27 and 28 and March 3-6, Heubsch said.

She said the collaboration helps unite the three art forms.

“Events like this bring together different art forms: visual, musical, theater,” Huebsch said. “We can cultivate interdepartmental relationships while showing the public that high art can be accessible in new ?environments.”