weekend

Imagine Dragons shows growth with second album

Imagine Dragons

'Smoke + Mirrors'

B

Since its multi-platinum debut album “Night Visions,” Imagine Dragons has probably been on the radar of every rock enthusiast. Or, at least, it should be.

As an avid fan of bands such as the Arctic Monkeys, the Black Keys and Coldplay, I found myself utterly obsessed with “Night Visions,” which hit No. 2 on Billboard 200. So of course, I also found myself jumping at the release of Imagine Dragon’s new album, “Smoke + Mirrors.” 

Imagine Dragons takes a mixed-genre approach to its second album, which keeps the listener engaged and perfectly fits the “modern rock” category. It carries a mix of hip-hop beats, expansive guitar work and solos and crashing drum intros. This band has an incredible talent of mixing different sounds to deliver a song that sounds as though it’s created its own genre.

Listening to the entire album, you start out with the light rock that comes with “Shots” and the amazing intro of “Gold,” which you can easily listen to on a walk to class.

Then you hit the hard notes in the complete 180-degree turn that is “I’m so Sorry,” and you feel as though you’re at a metal concert. “I’m so Sorry” is probably the hardest rock Imagine Dragons has ever played with and, in my opinion, it nailed it. It’s probably my favorite track on the album.

As you listen, it becomes apparent Imagine Dragons has imitated the successful aspects of popular bands such as Mumford & Sons. The result is an almost formulaic approach to creating an inspiration “go-getter” rock beat with a little hip-hop mixed in that is bound to sell like a champ.

“Smoke + Mirrors” has a little something for everybody, but you definitely know it’s Imagine Dragons. The band’s first album was great. I don’t know how long I made “Bleeding Out” my ringtone. But with a second album comes progress, and Imagine Dragons’ main progress fell within its lyrics.

The words of a song are just as important as how the beat makes you feel. Imagine Dragons’ first album was near depressing with a victim-complex that expanded across the entire track list.

In “Smoke + Mirrors,” the band’s lyrical journey is just a bit more uplifting and adrenaline pumping, mixed with pop beats.

Even though this album comes out along with lead singer Dan Reynolds’ confession of dealing with depression, it’s a much more humbling and endearing album. It gives insight into his journey with the band and dealing with depression in his personal life.

The use of instrumentation across the album was detailed and full. However, moving further down the list, Imagine Dragons takes it down a notch and strips itself of the loud drums and guitar with “Release.” “Release” is mostly an acoustic track that showcases the singing talent Reynolds has to offer.

I don’t see any track on this album coming close to being as successful as “Radioactive” or “Demons.”

Marketing could change that. The band’s Target commercial performances are a clever way to show that large companies are backing them. It’s a good sign the band will grow bigger and become more successful.

Hopefully the band’s quality doesn’t fall down the trenches that large endorsements sometimes dig for bands.

You might not walk away from “Smoke + Mirrors” an immediate fan. This album is not cut from the same cake Imagine Dragons’ previous album was. For its second go around, I think it’s great stuff and something you can listen to all the way through, which is not something I can say for a lot of rock albums.

Imagine Dragons’ lyrical and musical quality stretches relatively well throughout the span of the album, and the growth of the band is clear. The direction it’s heading is a promising one, and this is hopefully just the beginning.