Democrats push Mikos out of mayoral race, he says

The Monroe County Democratic Party urged former Bloomington mayoral candidate Adam Mikos to drop out of the upcoming mayoral primary, Mikos told the Indiana Daily Student on Monday.

Mikos, the most recent person to have filed candidacy for mayor of Bloomington, told the IDS he is withdrawing his name from consideration because of Monroe County Democratic Party’s advice.

Mikos is a graduate of IU and political consultant. He entered the race on Friday but withdrew his name from consideration after the party encouraged him to do so, he said.

“I believe the party was concerned I have not been involved with them locally and they were not personally familiar with me despite me being heavily involved across the country electing Democrats for over a decade,” Mikos said in an email to the IDS.

A long-time Democratic strategist, Mikos said he is now considering running as an independent in November’s general election.

On Friday, Mikos told the IDS in an email interview that the field was competitive, but he was hopeful of his chances.

“I think we have an excellent chance of winning,” Mikos said. “I wouldn’t be running if I didn’t. It’s not going to be an easy road, but I feel if we put in the work we need to we will be able to accomplish our goals and get where we need to be on Election Day.”

Originally from Schererville, Ind., Mikos said he originally got into politics while he was at IU and did a summer internship for U.S. Congressman Pete Visclosky, D-Gary. After his graduation from IU in 2006, Mikos worked as a political consultant and eventually started his own firm, ADM Strategic Consulting.

“I look forward to playing an active role in the community and seeking to serve the public further by running for office in the near future,” Mikos said in an email.