Adam DeVine to perform at IU Auditorium

Stand-up comedian and actor Adam DeVine will perform tonight at the IU Auditorium. The comedian is widely known for his role in the Comedy Central television series “Workaholics.”

The Indiana Memorial Union Board is sponsoring the event. Director of Performance and Entertainment for Union Board Geoff Ferguson said the Board chose DeVine to appeal to college ?students.

“He’s, I definitely think, one of the rising comedians of the time,” he said.

Ferguson said there are still tickets available, and there will be until showtime at 8 p.m.

Student tickets are $22.50 to $32.50 depending on the seat. ?Regular tickets are $32.50 to $42.50.

DeVine is a co-creator, writer and actor for “Workaholics,” according to Comedy Central’s website.

DeVine is also a prominent member of the successful sketch comedy group Mail Order Comedy, based in Los Angeles. He acts, writes and produces material for the sketch group, whose videos have been downloaded over a million times, according to Comedy Central’s website.

Ferguson said DeVine’s fearless and zany style sets him apart from other comedians.

“His stage presence is really ?noticeable,” Ferguson said. “It’s kind of fun to watch. He’s not embarrassed to do anything.”

Aside from stage presence, Ferguson said DeVine appeals to college students specifically.

DeVine’s tour includes stops at several college campuses beyond IU, including Syracuse on Tuesday and Iowa State on Friday.

Junior Brooke Vielee said DeVine’s brand of comedy is relatable to college students. She said IU Auditorium has many family-friendly shows, but this is something catered toward college students.

“He’s close to our age, so he talks about a lot of things that we’re doing,” she said.

Although she said she is as excited about his show as any other comedian’s, Vielee nabbed a front row seat.

Sophomore Brody Forbes also said DeVine’s age made him the right choice for students. Although he is not attending the show, Forbes said he knows DeVine is on the rise.

“The fact that he’s not too professional quite yet is more relatable to college students,” Forbes said.

Union Board said it brings stand-up to IU to provide a change of pace from regular programming.

“We definitely think it’s still something that’s really important to campus,” ?Ferguson said.

He said the success of a stand-up show such as DeVine’s boils down to name recognition.

“I think people recognize his face more than his name right now,” he said.

Although the show has sold only 1,000 tickets, Ferguson said there is still a market for comedy on ?campus.

Vielee said comedy is an uncommon entertainment, so she likes the variety of comedians Union Board has brought to campus this year, such as Jay Leno and Kevin Hart.

“Especially when you live in a small town, stand-up never really goes there,” she said.

Forbes said comedy ?provides students with an emotional outlet.

“Comedy is an awesome art,” he said. “It’s one of those art forms that brings relief — just have an opportunity to laugh and enjoy yourself.”

Vielee, on the other hand, does not know what to expect from DeVine.

“I just know it’s going to be funny,” Vielee said. “That’s my only ?expectation.”

DeVine announced on Twitter yesterday that he will star in Fox’s upcoming film “Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates” alongside actor Zac Efron. His own show, “Adam DeVine’s House Party,” and “Workaholics” can be seen on Comedy Central.