oped

Violence has no excuses

Opinion-Illo

It was the terrorist attack France anticipated.

French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo was the target of a violent attack Wednesday orchestrated by three gunmen, leaving 12 people dead, including two police officers. The newspaper had received criticism in the past for publishing controversial cartoons ?depicting the prophet Muhammad.

While the publication has certainly poked fun at other religions, like Catholicism, its coverage of Islam has triggered the most controversy.

Not only was this a violent, horrific attack on journalists — it was also an attack on free speech and the freedom of expression. However, Wednesday’s attack was not the first against Charlie Hebdo. Its offices were burned in November 2011 after printing images of the prophet Muhammad on the front cover.

The newspaper published a naked cartoon of Muhammad Sept. 19, 2012. It has also published a caricature of a dog having sex with the leg of French President François Hollande. France was forced to close its embassies and schools in 20 countries in 2012 after publishing cartoons of Muhammad.

Many French citizens fear this may not be the last attack their country will see. France is estimated to have the highest Muslim population in Europe, according to the New York Times.

Along with the rise of Muslim immigrants in Europe, the anti-immigrant attitudes of many Europeans have also increased. Tensions have been building, but violence should never be the outcome.

Charlie Hebdo was not publishing actual news. It is a French publication comparable to the United State’s satirical Onion, and we chuckle at its headlines for their ridiculousness.

Many have been offended by Charlie Hebdo’s satirical style, but a violent response was never the publication’s intention. It should never be the ?outcome, either.

We are facing a new kind of war. It is a war that is being fought less on an ?actual battlefield and increasingly in civilian territory. Journalists and reporters have become targets. This attack on journalists was not the first the world has seen. According to the Committee to Protect Journalists, 17 journalists were killed in Syria in 2014 alone. In total, 61 journalists were killed in 2014 with a motive confirmed.

The Editorial Board believes that violence should never be used in the name of extremist beliefs of a religion. Religion is not an excuse for any act of violence, no matter what that religion may be.

However, let us also be wary of religious profiling. We must be careful not to put Islam — or any religion — into a box. When we see these horrific attacks, we immediately assume Islamist extremists are the culprits.

This killing was a senseless one. It cannot be backed by Islam. It cannot be supported or forgiven by any ?religion.

Our hearts are with the staff and loved ones of Charlie Hebdo.