SPEA Welcomes New Admits to School

caSPEA

The IU School of Public and Environmental Affairs had an undergraduate open house for all new admits into at 4 to 5:30 p.m. Jan. 21 and 22.

This included students such as new freshmen to IU, transfer students and sophomores and juniors who had recently changed their major to something within SPEA.

Once students received their acceptances from SPEA, they were given a “Passport to SPEA” pamphlet that described each of the programs offered and accolades associated with each.

Additionally, “10 things about SPEA that you may not know” were presented on the pamphlet.

Once students arrived at the open house, they had their passports in hand with five boxes for the five main offices represented at the event.

The Undergraduate Admissions and Engagement office, one of the offices represented on the passport, was in charge of this new initiative event for new admits.

“An entrance is just as important as an exit,” Jennifer Forney, director of undergraduate student programing in SPEA, said. “This is our way to welcome our newest admits.”

The event was set up in a circle format, starting students at the Atrium of the SPEA building and earning stamps at each station aligning with their ultimate goal.

The Career Development Center, for example, gave out handshakes as their stamp of approval, representing both a future job interview and mark on the passport.

“The stamp system allows students to be exposed to all of the resources offered very early,” Forney said.

The entire initiative was driven by student volunteers. The advising operation of the school always had an open house, but nothing on this level of interaction.

Student volunteers wanted to focus on the first-impression aspect, wanting new students to have the opportunity to take advantage of their time.

One of the mottos expressed highly in SPEA is to learn more, but the next step is to get involved.

This initiative kick-starts involvement from the very ?beginning.

“This kind of relaxed setting is breaking down barriers with the various offices,” said Sydney Morton, a senior and first year student in the NPA accelerated master of public affairs program.

Volunteers for the open house came from SPEA programming group, leaders for the Greater Good Council and other SPEA-related clubs.

This spring, close to 300 students were admitted into SPEA and nearly 100 students attended the open house between the two days.

“We are very pleased with the turnout and I know it will continue to grow,” Forney said.

All student volunteers will be asked for constructive feedback in efforts to grow this initiative in the future.