Maurer selects new director for intellectual property law clinic

The IU Maurer School of Law will bring in Norman Hedges as a new clinical associate professor of law and its first full-time director of Maurer’s intellectual property law clinic.

The clinic opened its doors in January 2014 to provide pro bono patent, trademark and intellectual property law counseling, according to an IU press release.

The clinic has already represented several people recommended by IU Research and Technology Corp., the Purdue Foundry, the Indiana Small Business Development Center and the Crane Naval Weapons and Support Center, according to the press release.

Also, the intellectual property clinic is certified under the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s Law School Clinic Certification Program, which fewer than 25 percent of U.S. law schools have, according to the press release.

Hedges was chosen to be the first full-time director because of his 16-plus years of patent law practice experience in Indianapolis. He spent the past seven years as a partner with Faegre Baker Daniels’ office in Indianapolis.

“We are delighted that Norm will be joining our faculty full-time,” Mark Janis, director of the school’s Center for Intellectual Property Research, said in the press release. “He brings a wealth of practical experience that will be invaluable in building our clinic as it expands to provide pro bono IP services to our state’s most innovative startup businesses.”

Hedges’ focus within intellectual property law included mechanical and electromechanical arts while he was with Faegre Baker Daniels, according to the press release.

He has also worked in prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications, consultation with clients to avoid patent infringement and preparation of patent invalidity and non-infringement opinions, according to the press release.

“As a graduate of the law school, I am honored to be returning as a faculty member,” Hedges said in the press release. “The center’s IP clinic is on the forefront of providing hands-on learning opportunities to the law school’s students while helping Indiana businesses grow, and I’m privileged to be a part of it.”