IU Art Museum to debut two new installations Tuesday

By Sanya Ali

The IU Art Museum will introduce two new installations into their permanent collection Tuesday, ?Jan. 27.

Jenny McComas, class of 1949 curator of the Art of the Western World after 1800 said the first installation, titled “Pop Textiles,” showcases three pieces by famous artists from the height of the pop art ?movement.

“The ‘Pop Textiles’ installation features three works by Richard Lindner, Roy Lichtenstein and Claes Oldenburg, artists associated with pop art in the 1960s,” McComas said. “We will be showing two large banners by Linder and Lichtenstein and a ‘soft sculpture,’ a sculpture made out of textiles, by Oldenburg called the ‘Miniature Soft Drum Set.’”

McComas said the second installation focuses on artist Robert Salmon, whose inspiration came from a more concrete realm.

“The Robert Salmon installation features two paintings by this artist from the 1820s to 1830s,” ?McComas said.

“Salmon was born in England, but spent a few decades in Boston during the early 19th century. He was primarily a marine painter; we have one marine image and one ?landscape on view.”

McComas said Salmon’s pieces were special because they held a sort of fanciful quality while still doing justice to the subject matter.

“His life dates closely correspond with romanticism, a movement that affected the arts in Europe and America in the late 18th and early 19th centuries,” McComas said. “The paintings reflect the concern of romantic artists with depicting the landscape in a manner that was both topographically accurate and awe-inspiring.”

McComas said each installation offers patrons of the museum a glimpse into a part of art history they may not have seen through previous exhibits.

“We have rarely shown the works that will be in these installations; none of them are on permanent view in our gallery,” ?McComas said.

McComas added that the ‘Pop Textiles’ installation will show visitors a different medium of pop art.

“‘Pop Textiles’ will give visitors the chance to see works in a medium that is not typically associated with pop art,” McComas said. “‘Robert Salmon’ will introduce viewers to a lesser-known artist of the early 19th century.”

McComas said her decision to display the works of the pop art era came from a desire to show a new perspective on a well-known art form.

“I thought that this would be an interesting angle on pop art,” McComas said. “These works link pop art in some ways to the revitalization of fiber arts in the 1960s and 1970s.”

The “Robert Salmon” display, McComas said, shows fans of already existing installations another artist’s view through the ?romantic lens.

“I thought he would be an interesting artist to feature because we have two paintings, and they will complement other early 19th century works in the gallery,” McComas said.

McComas said she hopes IU students and art connoisseurs alike come out to see these installations at the art museum while they last.

“These will be on view through the end of the semester, so I hope people will be able to make time to come to the museum and see these works.”

McComas emphasized the influence seeing these pieces can have on one’s artistic view, and said she hopes those who see the works fully appreciate the opportunity they have.

McComas said people should see the installations “to see interesting works of art that rarely make it into art history books or even into museum galleries.”

McComas added that the installations could be a learning experience for viewers.

“People can expand their knowledge of art and visual cultures,” she said.

Overall, McComas said the pleasure she takes from viewing these installations is enough of a reason to encourage others to come take a look.

“I hope they will also simply enjoy these works for their aesthetic beauty and vibrancy,” McComas said. “I think that both installations offer insight into the aesthetics of their respective time periods, and the ‘Pop Textiles,’ in particular, are a lot of fun to ?look at.”