Grassroots conservative group protests immigration order

Sophomore Andrew Ireland reads a message protesting against the executive order on immigration passed by President Obama on Wednesday. The rally held in front of Todd Young's Bloomington office was organized by the Bloomington Grassroots Conservatives.

Protesters gathered outside the office of Rep. Todd Young, R-9th District, Wednesday afternoon to express disapproval of President Obama’s executive order on immigration.

The protest occured right before it was announced that 17 states, including Indiana, are suing the Obama Administration over what they consider an executive overreach on the issue.

Robert Hall , leader of the Bloomington Grassroots Conservatives, organized the protest. Hall, among others, delivered a letter to Young’s office asking him to take action against the president because of his Nov. 20 executive order, which granted a temporary stay from deportation to undocumented immigrants who qualify.

“We’re frustrated with what Obama did last week,” Hall said. “His action is totally lawless — it’s unconstitutional. It goes against the core of our country.”

About 17 people gathered inside the lobby of the office building outside Young’s office on Eighth Street. Many of the protesters carried signs, American flags and typed letters, which a few read aloud.

Some of the signs read: “No to Amnesty,” and “Obey law, Obama.”

Hal Turner , the district officer for Young’s office, came outside to listen to the concerns of the congressman’s constituents.

Turner said he would see to it personally that Young received the protesters’ letters and respond.

“I’m concerned about a double standard,” said Amy Jen, a counselor and reverend in Bloomington. “This is one of the very important laws of immigration because everyone wants to come to the United States.”

Jen, who emigrated to the United States from Taiwan, said she believes that those who want to come to the United States should follow immigration law.

“I went through four hurdles,” Jen said. “From F1 student to H1 temporary worker to green card, permanent residence until citizenship.”

According to the U.S. State Department, immigrants who want to permanently move to the United States must obtain a visa by being sponsored by a family that has U.S. citizenship, a lawful permanent resident or a prospective employer.

Under President Obama’s executive order, undocumented immigrants who are younger than 16 will not be deported.

In addition, the order also allows for undocumented immigrants who have at least one child who is a U.S. citizen or legal resident to be granted the same protection.

“I’m pro-immigration — there’s nothing wrong with immigration — frankly that’s one of the things that has made this country so great,” said Andrew Ireland, a sophomore at IU and member of Young Americans for ?Freedom.

Ireland said he thinks Obama’s executive action is unfair to immigrants who have spent a long time going through the United States’ ?immigration process.

Young, who was not present at the event, earlier criticized the president for what he considered to be an overreach.

“Our country must address illegal immigration, but unilateral action by the president that only addresses a fraction of our problems is the wrong way to go about it,” Young said in Nov. 20 statement on his Facebook page.

Obama’s order has caused controversy in Washington with some Republican lawmakers discussing legal recourse against the president.

Right now, it is uncertain what action the new Congress will take in January.

“I’m hopeful that he will receive our message,” Hall said about his inquiry to Young. “I’m hopeful he will do the right thing, I’m hopeful he will stand up and fight what the president is doing.”