Union Board holding elections

Today and tomorrow, students can vote for eight Union Board directors, in charge of $300,000 of student fees for organizing movies, concerts, lectures, debates and more.

Polling for the 106th Union Board election begins today at 8 p.m. and closes Wednesday at 8 p.m.

Voting for the Union Board ?election is online.

Between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Wednesday, students can also vote at a voting booth located on the main level of the Indiana Memorial Union, said Connor Foy, Union Board elections commissioner.

Union Board is the governing body of the Indiana Memorial Union and the largest student programming organization at IU, according to its website.

The Little 500 concert, the weekly free movies at the IMU and the publication of the literary arts magazine CANVAS are all organized by Union Board.

Information about current Union Board budgets, committees and events can be found at its website, ub.indiana.edu .

Many candidates have been campaigning on social media, including Facebook pages and events.

Roughly 35 candidates are running for one of eight elected positions, Foy said.

The remaining 27 candidates can then run for one of eight selected positions.

A committee composed of student leaders, including representatives from Union Board and the IU Student Association, selects the ?remaining candidates for the eight selected positions, said Paul Yoon, Union Board vice president of marketing.

The 16 directors then elect four directors to the Union Board executive team, composed of a president, a vice president of finance, a vice president of internal affairs and a vice president of marketing, Yoon said.

The remaining 12 directors pick from a list of focuses: live entertainment, games and electronic entertainment, late night, live from Bloomington, IU traditions, campus unity, fun and adventure, body and mind, current topics, films, CANVAS creative arts and music.

“These people are going to be spending your fee money,” Foy said. “You want to vote for the people who are going to spend it on what you want them to spend it on. You want to vote for who you believe is going to be passionate and make change happen.”

To vote, go to ? go.iu.edu/gvt .