Sunday, Oct. 6

IU swimmer having success early in collegiate career

For freshman Kennedy Goss, swimming runs in the family.

Her dad, Sandy Goss, was a two-time Olympian in 1984 and 1988, winning silver in the 400-medley relay.

Goss’ mom, Judy, swam in college. Judy attended Southern Methodist University, and Sandy was an NCAA Champion at Florida.

When Goss was introduced to the sport at a young age, it just stuck, she said.

Her reason for quitting all other sports to pursue swimming was simple.

“I was just better at swimming,” Goss said.

Now a freshman at IU, Goss is no stranger to competing against the best competition the world has to offer.

She didn’t compete for a high school team, as she was too busy competing internationally for her home country Canada.

In 2013, Goss was sixth in the 200-freestyle at the Junior World Championships. She medaled in sixth different events at the Canada Games and was a bronze-medalist in the 100-backstroke at the National Championships.

Just three meets into her college career, those winning ways have remained.

Goss was first in the 100, 200 and 500-yard freestyle races last Friday in IU’s win against Kentucky and ?Tennessee.

She was also part of the Hoosiers’ winning 400-yard freestyle relay team.

Her performance earned her Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors for the second time in three meets this ?season.

Goss said she’s done better than she expected to, especially having to adjust from meter-length pools to yards.

“I was really surprised,” she said. “This is my first time swimming yards so I’m still getting used to it.”

One thing she’s had almost no trouble adjusting to is being far from home. IU Coach Ray Looze has had success in consistently recruiting swimmers from Canada.

Goss is one of three Canadians on the team now, including junior Brooklynn Snodgrass and senior Cynthia Pammett. Snodgrass is the reigning Big Ten Champion in the 100- and 200-yard backstroke. She became IU’s second-ever NCAA Champion as a sophomore last ?season.

Canadians Bronwyn Pasloski and Brenna MacLean graduated after last season, but Pasloski still trains at IU.

These are swimmers Goss competed with before college and being around them has made the transition much easier, she said.

“The first two weeks were a little intimidating, but you met your team and they were so supportive,” Goss said. “I’ve always looked up to Brooklynn. She’s accomplished so much.”

Even last December, nearly a year ago, Looze had pegged Goss as a front-runner in his 2014 recruiting class.

Goss made recruiting trips to Arizona, North Carolina and Alabama, too, but said she was most comfortable ?at IU.

Looze now describes Goss as humble, quiet and ?unassuming.

“In a way, its not too surprising, but she’s really been acting like a veteran early on,” Looze said. “She’s a pretty impressive freshman. This is just the beginning hopefully.”