IU men's basketball rolls over Northwood, 94-70

Junior Forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea shoots the ball in IU’s first exhibition game against Northwood on Thursday at Assembly Hall.

It was an exhibition game, a Division II opponent. IU was supposed to win. And it did, ?94-70.

The game didn’t matter — the Hoosiers’ record still stands at 0-0.

Thursday night didn’t change the fact that while nine Hoosiers took the court, one lay in a hospital bed and three were left off the bench by suspension.

A victory against Northwood didn’t change what had happened in the last week, especially for IU Coach Tom Crean.

“I’m as concerned about everything today as I am every day,” Crean said. “My position is ‘I’ve got a lot of hats to wear every day,’ and this is no different.It’s just game day.”

For Crean, to coach was to return to normal, even if it’s a Division II opponent in front of a half-full Assembly Hall.

On the court, IU outplayed Northwood in nearly all facets of the game.

The Hoosiers shot better from the field, pulled down more rebounds, committed fewer turnovers and converted their free throws at a higher rate.

A pair of newcomer guards led the way for the Hoosiers.

Freshman guard James Blackmon Jr. scored a game-high 26 points while junior Nick Zeisloft added 24. The two shot a combined 6-13 from 3-point range and made all 20 of their free throw ?attempts.

Crean said Blackmon’s success came as an extension of his natural abilities as a scorer and coaching from his father, a former high school All-American.

“That’s pretty natural for him,” he said. “He’s a natural scorer. He is an effortless shooter. And when I say effortless, I mean he puts a lot of work into it, but he’s so well-coached.”

Junior guard Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell finished with 16 points and six assists, while junior forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea recorded a double-double with 10 points and 12 ?rebounds.

Crean said he was pleased with his team’s on-court performance, but that basketball isn’t his only responsibility in coaching. He stressed the importance of not taking anything, even exhibitions against overmatched opponents, for granted.

“I think if this week will continue to teach us anything, it’s that playing this game is an absolute gift. You can’t take it for granted, and every game is a single milestone to you,” he said. “They know they’ve got a teammate that’s laying in a hospital bed tonight that would’ve loved to have been able to play. Every game that you coach, every practice, you put your best into it because you’re excited about it.”