On Election Day, Democrats in Indianapolis anticipate midterm results

Indiana Democratic candidates and constituents gathered at the Westin hotel in downtown Indianapolis on Tuesday night, numbering more than 200 and waiting in anticipation as the voting results poured in.

They sipped on bottled beer and shook hands with old friends, wearing stickers and buttons supporting local judge, sheriff and congressman candidates. One group carried signs reading, “Say yes to Progress. We can do better.”

At about 7:30 p.m., Superintendent Glenda Ritz and Sen. Joe Donnelly spoke to the crowd, thanking them for their support.

Ritz said the conversation this election, as in every election, has been about education.  Nineteen candidates for this election are educators, she said.

“We must always be ready for the next election,” Ritz said. “Tonight is not the end of the campaign.”

Donnelly was welcomed by shouts and applause as he shared the anticipated news that Rep. Andre Carson would be reelected for another two years. The call, however, was not yet official.

“We’re so excited by everything you’ve done,” Donnelly told the crowd. "Every door you knock on can help change a person’s life. Here’s to lots of wins for our candidates tonight.”

Matt Tandy of Indianapolis was one of the earlier constituents to arrive, along with his son Matthew, a fourth grader at Fishback Creek Elementary. Since Matthew’s school was a polling place today, he had a lot of questions about the elections, and his dad encouraged him to come along. He said he didn’t really like it at first, but as more people started showing up, it got more exciting.

“I like kind of getting to see the numbers adding up,” Matthew said.

His father said he was feeling hopeful for the state’s Democratic candidates.

“A lot of people are feeling turned off by the GOP’s general stance on things,” Tandy said. “I think that should fare well for us.”

Ron Tolan, a Democrat from Indianapolis, wore a T-shirt supporting John Layton, running for reelection for Marion County Sheriff. Tolan said he was hopeful that the Democratic party would make gains during this election in preparation for the next one.

He praised Secretary of State candidate Beth White’s support of marriage equality in the state, he said.

“Since I’m gay, I’m all for that.”

Earlier in the day, White juggled her last push for votes with her current role as Marion County Clerk, making sure all of the polling was smooth.

“I’ve essentially been doing two full-time jobs for about a year now,” she said. “It’s been hard.”

She said she had noticed a lack of energy from voters for this election up until about two weeks ago, when momentum started to ramp up. She said her experience as clerk has helped her make voting as accessible and efficient for all residents.

“I want that kind of election experience for everyone in Indiana.”

She said she felt hopeful for a win Tuesday night, but she knew it might go either way.

“This has been the way my life has gone professionally,” she said. “You take a real gamble.”