sports women's basketball

Women's basketball begins its season

Sophomore Taylor Agler competes in the women's 3-point contest Saturday during Hoosier Hysteria in Assembly Hall.

The Teri Moren era at IU began with a roar at Saturday’s Hoosier Hysteria.

Stepping out to John Mellancamp’s “Small Town,” the West Lafayette native livened the crowd after emcee Sage Steele announced that Moren graduated from Purdue.

“Although I’m a Purdue grad, I’ve always been an Indiana fan at heart,” Moren said.

The IU women’s basketball team didn’t run a scrimmage like the men’s team, but the Hoosiers did get some time to preview what they have for the upcoming season.

Moren hasn’t officially named a starting five, but her groups in team drills, which consisted of help defense and full court drills with five players, can provide a look at a few of her position groupings for the upcoming season.

The first group consisted of returning starting point guards Larryn Brooks and Taylor Agler, both of whom are sophomores.

A pair of freshmen appeared in the group with Maura Muensterman and Jess Walter while Butler transfer Liz Stratman was the only forward on the floor.

For the second grouping, Tyra Buss was the lone freshman while three sophomores, Alexis Gassion, Karlee McBride and Lyndsay Leikem, joined senior Andrea Mize.

Sophomore center Jenn Anderson also worked with the group ?during help defense drills.

The highly touted freshman class got the chance to showcase its sharp shooting skills in the three-point ?contest.

The finals consisted of Amanda Cahill and ?Muensterman.

After Cahill hit all five of her attempts on the first rack, Muensterman came roaring back and defeated Cahill ?19-14.

The team will see its next action Nov. 9 when it takes on the University of Indianapolis to open the 2014-15 season.