Q&A with IU receiver Nick Stoner

IUvsNT

IU senior receiver Nick Stoner broke a nearly 14-month scoreless drought last Saturday in IU’s loss to Iowa.

Stoner hauled in a 13-yard touchdown reception from junior quarterback Nate Sudfeld in the opening quarter.

With a new quarterback set to take snaps this week, Stoner and his Hoosier teammates will look to win the Old Brass Spittoon at 3:30 p.m. Saturday against Michigan State.

IDS: It’s your last homecoming week. Does homecoming mean anything to you?

STONER: Definitely. It is my last homecoming game, my last time to play at home, obviously, with all the things going on.

So yeah, definitely means a whole lot, especially with Michigan State.

IDS: You’ll be playing for the Old Brass Spittoon. Is that something the coaches have been mentioning at all?

STONER: Yeah, definitely. I mean, it’s a trophy game. So that means it’s a lot more than just getting a W. There’s a trophy that comes along and stays in the locker room, too.

So yeah, he told us about that. But the biggest thing is we’re going to go out there and try to win the game. Just win, you know? Not necessarily the trophy, but you know what I’m saying? Just play as hard as we can and win.

IDS: Does the season-ending injury to senior receiver Isaiah “Zeke” Roundtree change your role at all?

STONER:  I don’t think it’s going to change the way I play. It might change, you know, the other team. They might put their best outside guy on me if Shane’s on the inside.

How I play personally isn’t going to change that much. What it really changes is my leadership role in the wide receiver room because he’s not going to be there that much, especially when we travel.

Zeke’s not going to be there, and he was a big part in leading all these young guys so I definitely need to step up in that area.

IDS:  You had a pretty good deke against Iowa on one of junior Tevin Coleman’s scores. It didn’t look like the defensive back knew what was going on. Did you guys talk about that one afterword?

STONER:  Coach Wilson pointed it out to the whole team, just playing hard.

It was actually funny. During the game, actually, a couple of O-lineman came and celebrated with me first before they got to Tevin just because they saw it and thought it was awesome.

And the ref actually in the game, he looked at me and said, he said “Number 14,” and I looked at him and he said, “That was dirty.”

So I thought that was kind of funny.

IDS:  You yourself scored a touchdown, ending a streak that extended back to Indiana State in 2013. That must have been nice to get off your back.

STONER Oh yeah, definitely good to get into the endzone.

But the most important thing is trying to get the W and getting points on the board for my team. So if that means me not scoring and Tevin getting every single one and me having to run guys off, that’s what I’m all about.