Memoirs teach readers valuable lessons

Though the world of fiction can take a reader to places outside the real world, sometimes a dose of reality is just what one needs.

Memoirs serve as an escape to someone else’s experience. And just like heroes and heroines of fiction, a reader can connect with writers on a personal level.

The past week, I’ve started reading Tina Fey’s bestseller “Bossypants.” I’ve yet to finish the memoir, but so far, I’ve laughed out loud on multiple occasions.

However, I haven’t always liked memoirs.

A few years ago, my grandmother bought me a copy of “The Glass Castle” by Jeannette Walls. It actually took me more than a year to read the book because I’ve always been set on reading fiction. I took on the mindset of assuming narcissists who craved their 15 seconds wrote memoirs.

Now, mind you, I’ve had several daydreams of writing my own memoir.

“The Glass Castle” was my gateway to memoirs. Reading about another person’s struggles, success, drama and comedy relieved me of life’s stresses.

There’s no better way to forget your problems for a moment than reading about someone else’s.

I’ve never been homeless or had rocks thrown at me by classmates, but Walls’ writing resonated with me on a personal level. The experience felt like being handed a magnifying glass to peer in on another person’s ?makeup.

Similarities between my life and Walls’ made me ?relieved to know my experiences in life weren’t singular.

In a way, there isn’t much difference between reading a fiction novel in first person and reading a memoir.

There’s an element of bravery and selflessness to reveal personal information to an entire public.

I’m currently anticipating Lena Dunham’s debut book “Not That Kind of Girl.” I’ve had the book on preorder since July, but I mistakenly sent the book to my home instead of my dorm.

Unfortunately, I will be waiting a tad longer than other members of the book’s audience.

I’ve noticed a personal trend in my selection of memoirs to read: the writer is usually a woman with a strong, moral character.

Unintentionally, I have selected to read about women I aspire to be. These role models aided me in struggles by writing about their own and solutions they found.

Memoirs have almost become a cheat sheet for life. They present the opportunity to live vicariously through someone else and learn from their mistakes.

A well-written memoir will serve you well, dear readers. Read one by someone you’re familiar with or want to learn about.

Whether it’s a television celebrity or a ruthless politician you adore, their memoirs will surely teach you.

And the best way to learn is to read.