Local museum showcases art from the 1960s

Postcards, quilts and fashion from the 60s on display at The Psychedelic Parlor installation. The display will run from Oct. 3 to Nov.14 at the Farmer House Museum.

By Holly Hays

In a museum that typically is set as if it were in the 1930s or 1940s, a collection of art from the 1960s might seem out of place.

But for Emily Purcell, director of the Farmer House Museum, the art signifies more than a juxtaposition of the decades.

“The 1960s are still an inspiration for music and art today,” she said. “It’s sort of a foundational decade.”

The installation, called “Psychedelic Parlor,” is a collection of 1960s artifacts and artwork, including books and tie-dye quilts.

At the center of the exhibition is a collection of about 40 post cards from local artist BJ Hale, who was part of concert promoter Bill Graham’s mailing list from about 1968 to 1971.

Purcell said the post cards are miniature versions of concert posters, including posters from performances by groups such as the Grateful Dead, the Birds, Santana and Janis ?Joplin.

Purcell said, to go along with the art, she has put together a slideshow of music that plays throughout the parlor, a soundtrack to accompany the installation.

The Farmer House Museum was founded in the late 1990s after Ed and Mary Ellen Farmer left their property and possessions to the community, according to the museum’s website.

The house was built in the late 1860s, and it is one of two homes from that decade left in Bloomington, Purcell said.

Mary Ellen, who died in 1999, was involved in the establishment of the Monroe County History Society. She wanted to leave the home as a museum of living local ?history.

“They first tried donating it to the city itself, and then they tried donating it to the historical society, but neither wanted to take on a whole other building,” Purcell said.

The museum is operated by a nonprofit board. While the museum has other sources of income, such as renting out parking, donations and funds from the board are the primary funding source.

The museum is open ?Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Admission is free to the public with donations encouraged, Purcell said.

The “Psychedelic Parlor” installation has no confirmed end date, but will be taken down sometime in mid-November for the museum’s Christmas show, she said.

Other exhibitions currently on display at the museum include art by Don Geyra, a permanent display of World War II art and a pottery ?exhibit.

Purcell said the installation in the parlor should resonate with younger and older generations alike within the community.

“There’s a living memory of the 1960s, but it’s still so far back in time, too, that there’s a lot that people can learn about it,” she said.