Buskirk-Chumley to host bartending competition

Attendees of the Buskirk-Chumley Theater’s “Mix-Off: Bloomington’s Ultimate Bartender Challenge” will decide the city’s best bartender tomorrow night.

Danielle McClelland, executive director of the theater, said the “Mix-Off” is a fundraiser for the theater, McClelland said.

“This is only the second year we’ve done it,” she said.

The event was the brain child of Mark Need, the Buskirk-Chumley board president. The event came to mind after watching the success of the chef’s challenge, an “Iron Chef-”inspired cook-off that benefits the Community Kitchen of Monroe County.

Employees at the Buskirk thought they would offer their own foodie challenge.

The main goal of the event is to find the next recipe for the Buskirk-Chumley’s house cocktail. The drink is served at high-profile concerts and is made in large quantities, McClelland said.

The batch cocktail is designed to be made in advance and easy to serve.

“That is the primary challenge,” she said. There will be two others: a tasting cocktail that will be critiqued by judges and special ticket holders and a challenge cocktail, the name of which will be unveiled during the competition.

This will be a drink that is recognizable by name, she said. The key to judging for this is looking at the cocktail’s balance and originality. There might be additional splashes or garnishes, she said, but that is what makes bartending an art.

Last year’s winning drink featured bourbon, hints of allspice, ginger beer and lime juice. A staff favorite was FARM’s “Tequila Thyme Machine,” a tequila cocktail featuring a thyme-infused liquor.

For those who cannot drink, there will be a separate run of alcohol-free punches and drinks that will be available for a lower price.

“We wanted everyone to be safe,” McClelland said. So they created a designated driver’s mocktail ticket. This way a group can sign up and still have a safe way to get home. “We wanted everyone to be able to come,” she said.

“The whole event is all in good fun. It’s an opportunity for the bartenders to test themselves.”

Bartenders are in a business that is tip-based. This event will help the four contenders create a following, she said.

Representatives from Nick’s English Hut, FARM Bloomington, Crazy Horse and Michael’s Uptown Café will be present, according to the theater’s website.

Above all, McClelland said the theater wanted to create an event that represented three things: food, art and entertainment. Cocktails were what they needed, especially since cocktail-making is trending in the food industry.

“It’s an art form in and of itself,” she said.