Recruitment kicks off with field, service day

caFieldDay

Formal fraternity recruitment continued this week with philanthropic and social rush events early this week along with new changes brought about by the Interfraternity Council.

The newly structured recruitment included a field day Monday in Dunn Meadow and individual chapter philanthropy events around campus Tuesday.

This past weekend, prospective recruits visited chapter houses for 30-minute intervals to meet brothers and receive house tours. The chapter visits were cut short Sunday due to the time constraints of transporting the large rush group.

The greek community is currently at its largest in history, said Dylan Nash, IFC recruitment chairperson.

The current rush class tallies up to 1,904 registered for recruitment, said Liam Bolling, IUIFC.org designer and programmer.

The freshman class included 7,708 enrolled ?students, according to a recent release.

“We’re excited that our greek community is going to grow as a whole because of this,” Nash said.

After back-to-back days of chapter visits during the weekend, the recruits joined fraternity brothers in games of corn hole. Dunn Meadow was filled with nearly 400 brothers and recruits, Nash said.

In accordance with the academic pillar of excellence, the fraternity rush group boasts a mean grade-point average of about 3.6, Bolling said.

Comparatively, the current freshman class earned a middle GPA of 3.47, according to the IU Office of Admissions.

The fraternity recruits were also introduced to the other pillars of excellence during service day Tuesday.

Each chapter played host to its own philanthropy event or paired with other chapters to raise money and awareness.

Charity events varied from Lambda Chi Alpha’s tailgate event for the Hoosier Hills Food Bank to ?Sigma Pi Beta’s dunk tank for Bloomington’s Middle Way House.

The IFC plans to continue to implement these events into recruitment next year, Nash said.

“A lot of recruits were excited to go out,” Nash said. “It was cool that the general public got to participate in some of these service events.”