Midterms: 3 races you might not know that much about but should

Election Day is fast approaching, and 13 Monroe County offices will be on the ballot Nov. 4. While certain offices’ responsibilities’ might be clear, such as those of the judge or sheriff, some are not so straightforward. Here is a breakdown of three local races for positions that might not be as well known.

Monroe County Assessor

The county assessor’s job is to assign monetary value to every piece of property in Monroe County for the purpose of taxation and record keeping. Two candidates are running in November’s election for the assessor position.

Judy Sharp (D)

Judy Sharp has served as the Monroe County Assessor since 1991. Prior to her experience as Monroe County assessor, she served as the Bloomington Township Assessor from 1986 through 1991.

“The county assessor probably has one of the most detailed — the most critical — offices,” Sharp said. “I think we do have the most critical office in government because if the county assessor’s office does not do the job, then there’s no money for the rest of government in the whole state.”

William Ellis (R)

William Ellis moved to Monroe County 15 years ago. Since then, Ellis has worked in service and retail management in Bloomington. Ellis has also served on the Monroe County Elections Board, according to his website.

Monroe County Recorder

The county recorder’s job is to maintain and preserve important personal and official government documents. According to Monroe County Recorder Jeff Ellington, the position was the first local office created by the Indiana State Constitution in 1816. In the 19th century, the recorder’s job was mostly maintaining deeds in order to resolve potential land disputes, Ellington said. With modern real estate practices, the recorder’s job is even more important than it was about 200 years ago, Ellington said.

Eric Schmitz (D)

Originally from Johnson County, Kan., Eric Schmitz moved to Bloomington in 1992. Schmitz’s involvement in local government includes working as a Benton Township board member and deputy chair of the Monroe County Democratic Party, according to his website.

Jeff Ellington (R)

Ellington assumed office as Monroe County recorder after the passing of Jim Fielder in May. Ellington previously served on the Monroe County Council as an at-large member for eight years starting in 1997.

“The recorder was established in 1816 because it was the most important office,” Ellington said. “It protects your legal right to your property and those documents associated with your property.”

Monroe County Clerk

The county clerk’s responsibilities are to maintain the Monroe County Circuit Court’s records, issue marriage licenses and serve as secretary of the Monroe County Election Board.

Linda Robbins (D)

First elected in 2010, Linda Robbins is running again for re-election. Robbins previously served in the clerk’s office as deputy clerk from 2008 to 2010. She worked in the medical field, consulting companies on health care regulations, as well as assisting companies on staff training and medical coding according to her website.

Jacob Franklin (R)

Jacob Franklin, a Bloomington native, is challenging Robbins for the county clerk seat. Franklin spent nine years in the clerk’s office as a deputy clerk, eight of which were under the late Jim Fielder.

“One of the things that I had done was perform a wedding and sign a murder warrant within a few minutes of each other,” Franklin said. “It’s unfortunate, but that’s the full spectrum of that office.”