IU defeats Dartmouth 1-0

spIUMSvsOS

IU sophomore Colin Webb stood on the goal line, staring at Dartmouth senior Colin Heffron 12 yards away.

Dartmouth had just been awarded a penalty, and with IU clinging to a one-goal lead early in the second half, this ?moment was crucial.

Heffron took his run up and prepared to shoot. It was at this moment Webb knew he had the penalty saved.

Heffron had opened his hips, telegraphing the direction of his shot. All Webb had to do was dive right, redirect the ball to safety, and his defense would clear the ball out of play.

This was one of Webb’s four saves in IU’s 1-0 victory Monday against Dartmouth in its final match of the Mike ?Berticelli Tournament at Notre Dame.

“The bagels are one thing that we’re striving for every game this year,” Webb said. “We’re just all trying to put in our defensive work, and we know the attacking pieces will fall into place as the game goes along.”

“Bagels” are what IU calls shutouts this season.

The victory improved IU’s record to 3-0-1 this season. Each of the Hoosier’s three victories have come from a 1-0 score line.

IU managed to win 1-0 once last ?season, a Big Ten Tournament 1-0 victory against Michigan State.

“These kids love it,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “As coaches, of course, that’s something that you take a lot of pride in because we want our team to have that mentality. The one-nothing games are ?really nice.”

IU’s only goal Monday was scored by its defensive players. It began with sophomore right back Billy McConnell getting fouled just outside the 18-yard box.

It ended with senior left back Patrick Doody placing the free kick into the upper 90 of the goal.

“With the free kick that close, you want to at least make the keeper make a save,” Doody said. “It was good to put the pressure on them and have the lead that early.”

After just 2 minutes and 19 seconds, IU had the lead.

Typically, after a goal as early as Doody’s, it is rare for the play to remain balanced. Often the team leading will naturally revert into a more defensive approach, conceding more chances to the opponent and eventually conceding the equalizer.

“When you score early, you can’t go into a defensive mindset,” Yeagley said. “I don’t think we did that. We just kept ?playing and it was great.”

IU outshot Dartmouth 8-4 in the second half, forcing three saves from James Hickok, who was subbed in as goalkeeper during halftime.

The game was also a physical one. Dartmouth committed 12 fouls to IU’s 10.

Dartmouth was given three yellow cards during the match. Dartmouth senior Stefan Defregger was given a red card as the final whistle blew for arguing with the center referee.

This type of contentious match is only a preview for what may transpire against Big Ten opponents.

“The Big Ten’s a different animal,” Webb said. “I think with the games we’ve played so far we’re starting to hit our stride defensively and ?offensively.”