sports men's soccer

Hoosiers, Bulldogs play to scoreless draw

IUMSvsButler

IU's defense held again Wednesday, drawing against Butler 0-0.

It was the fourth shutout of the season for IU and came against a Butler attack which has found the back of the net.

“Keeping the shutouts and getting the bagels has been something that we talk about every day,” freshman Grant Lillard said. “It’s something we hold very close to ourselves and is something we take great pride in.”

Butler had the better of the chances in the first half, highlighted by a trio of chances in about a two-and-a-half minute span.

With about 20 minutes remaining in the first half, Butler sophomore David Goldsmith tried to flick a cross on towards goal, but he failed to get it inside the near post.

Two minutes later Webb was called into action for the first time in the match, as he parried away a shot out of bounds from about 25 yards out.

The resulting corner found the head of Butler senior Zach Steinberger, and his header sailed just wide of the post.

After halftime, IU’s attack began to control the pace of the game.

However, with all the shots taken from the chances, IU only managed to get five on frame against Butler goalkeeper Andy Holte, who was making his first start of the season.

“Some of them were a little ill-advised from distance,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “Maybe make another pass ... some of those shots weren’t really great opportunities.”

On the hour mark of the match, Yeagley’s substitution of freshman Brad Shaw changed the tone of the match.

IU began to look more dangerous going forward and started to create quality chances.

“I don’t think he’s nervous, he just goes out and competes,” Yeagley said. “He’s an athlete who has got some instincts. He makes things happen with his pace, his strength and his ability to beat guys off the dribble.”

Just a few minutes after entering the match, Shaw made a run down the left side a played a ball into junior Femi ?Hollinger-Janzen.

Hollinger-Janzen failed to get his shot on frame as his shot sailed wide of the post.

Three minutes later, sophomore Tanner Thompson made a long run into the box and fired a shot right at Butler goalie Andy Holte.

Shaw was there for the sniffer opportunity, but his shot trickled just wide of the far post.

In addition to that shot, Thompson also created a fair amount of other ?chances.

“At halftime we wanted to get the ball wide and get on the wing,” Thompson said. “We were cutting back in the first half so we really wanted to attack the end line. We created some chances, but they just didn’t fall for us tonight.”

With eight minutes remaining in the first overtime period, IU earned a corner.

Doody played a ball in that found the flying head of Lillard.

The goalie saved it right to sophomore Derek Creviston who banged on, off the post.

“That kind of described the whole match for us,” Lillard said. “Especially in the second half and overtime. We were right there the whole time we just couldn’t put one in.”