Midterms: Know your ballot

With 48 days to go, local offices are bracing for the election. Here's what you need to know come Nov. 4.

Midterm election season is just around the corner. While national and state elections centering on key issues are capturing headlines, 13 seats are up for grabs in Monroe County on Election Day, Nov. 4.

Monroe County commissioner, District 1

In a race to be one of three commissioners of Monroe County, incumbent Democrat Patrick Stoffers will face off against two candidates in November: Republican Bob LaGarde and Libertarian Dave ?Nakarado.

Stoffers, an IU alumnus, served two terms on the Ellettsville, Ind., town council and is seeking his third term as Monroe County Commissioner.

“He’s very good about bringing all local officials together toward the bigger picture,” said Trent Deckard, chair of the Monroe County Democratic Party.

On the Republican side is LaGarde, who previously served in the Van Buren Township Trustee office and is looking to become the only Republican on the Monroe County Commission.

“What this race will do is give us a chance to provide some balance,” said Riley Parr, assistant to the chair for the Monroe County Republican Party. “(LaGarde) can provide a different kind of prospective.”

The third candidate running for District 1 Commissioner is Nakarado, a real estate agent in Bloomington and the only Libertarian running for a Monroe County seat.

Monroe County Council, District 1

Democrat Shelli Yoder has the current District 1 council seat after being appointed in 2013. In 2012, Yoder lost to Republican Congressman Todd Young in a race for Indiana’s 9th Congressional District.

Deckard said she has had a positive effect in her short time on the council.

“She brings a new voice to public service,” Deckard said.

Nelson Shaffer is the Republican challenger. Shaffer is a geologist, retired from the Indiana Geological Survey last April.

Parr said Shaffer’s experience as a geology professor would add a new perspective to the Monroe County Council.

“He’s got an ability to think through complex issues,” he said. “He would help examine things like the budget that don’t get looked at quite enough.”

Monroe County Council, District 2

Ryan Cobine is the Democratic nominee for the council District 2 seat after winning an uncontested primary. Cobine is an IT specialist and currently serves on the Bloomington City Traffic Commission.

Running against Cobine is Brian Ellison, a businessman who previously ran an unsuccessful campaign for the Monroe County Council at-large seat in 2012.

Monroe County Council, District 3

Marty Hawk is a local real estate agent and the only Republican incumbent running for a spot on the County Council this November.

“Marty Hawk, as an incumbent, has been very outspoken,” said Steve Hogan, chair of the Monroe County Republican Party.

Trying to unseat Hawk is Jeff Carson, the Democrats’ nominee running uncontested in the primary.

He is the owner of Carson’s BBQ and Catering and serves on the Monroe County Board of Corrections.

Deckard said Carson’s experiences as a small business owner qualifies him for the county council seat.

Monroe County Council, District 4

Rick Dietz is running to maintain his seat on the county council. Representing District 4, Dietz is a Democrat representing much of the downtown Bloomington community.

“Rick is very much in touch with the downtown community that makes up that B-line Trail corridor of his district,” Deckard said.

Dietz currently serves as the director of Information and Technology Services for the City of Bloomington.

Up against Dietz is Republican Greg Knott, the former chair of the Monroe County Libertarian Party. In 2010, Knott ran an unsuccessful campaign for Indiana’s congressional District 9 as a Libertarian.

Parr said he believes Knott’s Libertarian attitudes fit the ideology of many students who live in downtown Bloomington.

“A lot of students, regardless of their political or party affiliation, tend to identify with many Libertarian-type ideas,” he said.

Monroe County judge, ?Division 3

From traffic tickets to bank robberies, Monroe County judges have jurisdiction over every legal matter in the county.

Republican Judge Kenneth Todd is looking to keep his seat on the bench this November. A former officer in the U.S. Air Force, Todd received his law degree from the Maurer School of Law in 1970 and entered active millitary service as a lawyer .

Running against Judge Todd from the Democratic Party is Alphonso Manns. Manns served as a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Army. He graduated from the Maurer School of Law in 1972 and currently works as an attorney in Bloomington.

?Monroe County judge, ?Division 4

Judge Elizabeth Cure will run unopposed in November’s election.

Judge Cure has served on the bench since 2009 . Like her colleague Todd, she received her law degree from the Maurer School of Law.

Monroe County judge, ?Division 8

Democrat Judge Valeri Haughton is seeking her second term on the bench. First elected in 2008, Judge Haughton received her law degree from the University of Iowa College of Law.

Contesting from the Republican side is Karen Wyle, an attorney and novelist living in Bloomington. Wyle graduated from Harvard Law School in 1980 and now works as an Indiana appellate attorney.

Monroe County assessor

Democrat Judy Sharp is the incumbent county assessor, meaning she is responsible for keeping records of assessed property values. The county uses this information for tax-collecting purposes.

Running against Sharp is Republican William Ellis. Ellis was initially removed from the ballot after not having a level three assessor certificate but was eventually reinstated after completing one.

Monroe County clerk

Linda Robbins is the incumbent Democrat in the clerk’s office. As clerk, Robbins maintains the court docket and assists the court in recording and filing information. In addition, the county clerk oversees voting documents.

Deckard said Robbins’ work as clerk has helped usher the voting process in Monroe County into the 21st century.

Running against Robbins is Republican Jacob Franklin, whose experience working in the office gives him qualifications for the role, Parr said.

Monroe County recorder

Republican Jeff Ellington is in charge of maintaining records for the county as recorder. Ellington was chosen in June via a Republican caucus to replace the late Jim Fielder as recorder.

Running against Ellington is Democrat Eric Schmitz, who, originally from Kansas, has been living in Bloomington for more than 22 years.

“He has a non-traditional background,” Deckard said. “But he has a heart for that service.”

Monroe County prosecutor

Democrat Chris Gaal is running for another term as county prosecutor.

Deckard said Chris Gaal has done a terrific job at getting drugs off the street via drop boxes for expired prescriptions.

“Everyone needs a superhero, and for us Chris Gaal fits that bill,” he said.

Republican Jacob Moore will try to unseat Gaal.

Both Parr and Hogan said Moore is capable of maintaining a legal balance with the student population of Bloomington.

“That is another race that is significant to everybody in Monroe County, whether or not you are a student,” Hogan said.

Monroe County sheriff

With 18 years worth of experience in the Monroe County Sherriff’s Office, Brad Swain is running on the Democratic ticket. Swain won in a crowded primary field to pick up the ?nomination.

“He has a lot of new ideas on how to expand the office in a way that benefits the people of the county,” ?Deckard said.

On the Republican side of the ticket is Steve Hale, a Patrol Deputy with the Monroe County Sheriff’s office.

“He’s somebody who’s forward looking,” Hogan said. “You need to have a good attitude from someone’s who’s in the sheriff’s department.”

Election Day is Nov. 4 for national, state and local ?elections.