letters

Letter to the Editor: Mourning keijzer

As an IU-Bloomington alumnus (2011), I think I share the same type of condolences about Karlijn Keijzer as the rest of my former classmates. This news is heartbreaking and sad. The rebels that did this need to be brought to justice, and this investigation needs ?to continue.

Karlijn Keijzer wasn’t well known at the IU campus until her tragic death. I remember her most from athletics, leading the rowing team to a winning 14-5 record and being a scholar-athlete. During 2011, it was an IU women’s year for athletics compared to the men. The sports of rowing, women’s soccer and women’s volleyball all went deep into major ?playoff contention.

Karlijn Keijzer, however, was one of my classmates. I felt compelled to write in because I feel it helps the victim’s family mourn when people share great memories about their loss. She was part of my 2011 commencement class. I was, however, an undergraduate student, and she was finishing her graduate degree.

On a personal level, I met Karlijn Keijzer only a couple of times as a student. I didn’t have any personal relationship with her or her family. I remember meeting her at Wright Quad to eat dinner, and at dinner she invited me to come to one of her rowing matches since she saw I had a great interest in sports at the University. She came across to me as kind, intelligent and dedicated toward her program of studies.