IU Grad Spreads Bahá’í Faith

Bahá'í Faith members Sarah Enslow, Ruth Enslow and IU Alum Natalie Bantz represent the Bahá'í Faith of Bloomington center at Faith Fest. The Bahá'í Faith of Bloomington center offers weekly devotion to community members every Sunday at 10:30am.

Wedged between two large religious studies books sat a pamphlet on the Bahá’í Faith. This small, beat-up, spineless pamphlet in a high school library was a turning point for recent IU graduate Natalie Bantz.

Four years later, Bantz is a declared member of the Bahá’í faith. As a practicing member, Bantz represented the Bahá’í Faith of Bloomington at the Welcome Week Faith Fest on Sunday where 17 other student faith-driven communities also set up tables.

Bahá’í is a monotheistic religion that teaches all other religions come from the same source. This community focuses on the tenants of the Oneness of God, the Oneness of Religion and the Oneness of Mankind.

“Before, when I didn’t have the Bahá’í faith, I wanted peace for the world and I wanted people to end war and strife, but I didn’t have any way to do it,” Bantz said. “In high school, I was kind of despondent because I really wanted things to change, but I didn’t know any way of doing it.”

It wasn’t until her freshman year that she found the Bahá’í center in Bloomington through the IU Classifieds.

“When I came to college, I decided that it was a really good opportunity to explore this faith that I was really interested in, which is kind of what college is about — exploring your own world views and spiritual views rather than the ones that you grew up with,” Bantz said.

The Bahá’í Faith of Bloomington center offers devotions every Sunday morning. In addition, free Ruhi classes are held regularly for all community members, which include scripture readings and virtues beyond just the Bahá’í faith.

Members of the Bahá’í community follow the teachings of Bahá’u’lláh, the founder of the Bahá’í faith. He is considered to be a divine messenger, comparable to Christ or Buddha, according to the Bahá’í website.

These teachings stress equality between religions, races and gender. This also includes the harmony between science and religion.

“You become proud of the fact that you can teach racial harmony and equality of the genders,” Bantz said. “It makes you proud to be a Bahá’í to be able to foster peace, which is pretty much what the world needs most right now.”

Bahá’í practices not only being a better Bahá’í but being a better person, Bantz said. The faith teaches members to focus on their own shortcomings rather than others’. This also means the elimination of “backbiting” or gossiping behind others’ backs.

“These teachings are put in place for humanity because it is the healthiest way that humanity can live,” Bantz said.

Although Bahá’í is the youngest monotheistic religion, founded in 1844, it is the second most widespread religion in the world, spanning more than 236 countries, according to the Bahá’í website.

This is largely in part due to the eldest son and successor of Bahá’u’lláh `Abdu’l-Bahá and his proclamation to the members of Bahá’í to spread the word of the faith, said Sarah Enslow, member of Bahá’í.

The word of Bahá’u’lláh teaches “ignorance and lack of education are barriers of separation among mankind,” according to Bahá’í literature.

The scriptures of Bahá’u’lláh are also universal, which allow for a diverse Bahá’í community.

“Because we are so focused on racial harmony, it appeals to people all over the world because everybody wants that,” Bantz said. “At any Bahá’í meeting you’ll see people of all different ages, nationalities and races. Everyone is working together to spread the message of Bahá’u’lláh.”

The Bahá’í community currently spans more than five million people, including nearly every national, ethnic and religious background, according to the Bahá’í website.

“I found a community that is working towards peace everyday of their lives,” Bantz said. “That’s the big difference for me.”