crime & courts

Gunshots fired, drugs confiscated on the southside

Correction: An earlier version of the story stated Country View Apartments are located on the north side. It should have stated that the apartment complex is located on the south side. 

From IDS Reports

Bloomington police officers responded to a call reporting the sound of gun shots 11:15 p.m. Saturday in the parking lot of Country View Apartments, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Pam Gladish said.

The call reported a dark, silver vehicle leaving the parking lot after shots were heard.

Police then pulled over a gray four-door Pontiac driving northbound from the apartment complex.  Officers questioned driver Alexis Johnson  and passengers Ronnie Burrus  and Kyombe Bolden.

All three individuals said they heard the shots fired but said they did not know anything else about the incident.

Burrus told officers he had a small bag of marijuana in his pocket. Officers also found a Glock 19 magazine.

When asked, he led officers to the weapon, located under the driver’s seat. However, the gun was not warm, which would have indicated it had recently been fired.

Johnson, whose address is listed as the Country View Apartments, admitted to having a bag of marijuana under her shirt, which police confiscated.

Burrus and Bolden were both arrested on preliminary charges of visiting a common nuisance, while Johnson was arrested on preliminary charges of maintaining a common nuisance. Johnson was also arrested on preliminary charges of carrying a handgun without a permit and dealing synthetic cannabinoid. Burrus was also arrested on preliminary charges of dealing a synthetic cannabinoid.

The three individuals were booked in Monroe County Jail.

At 2:45 a.m. Sunday , BPD received a call from Taiveon Taylor , who said they were “probably looking for him.” Taylor’s name was reportedly mentioned during questioning of Johnson, Bolden and Burrus.

Police responded to the call at the 2400 block of Winslow Court , where they saw three men walking in a parking lot. One, they found, was Taylor, who fled once the officers identified themselves.

While running, Taylor was carrying a brown case, which he threw under a car. Taylor was eventually stopped by the officers.

The officers found the brown case containing a 22-caliber handgun and unloaded one magazine.

Taylor had no answers to the officers’ questions and told them to put him in jail.

He was arrested on charges of possessing a firearm without a permit and resisting law enforcement and was booked in Monroe County Jail.

BPD is still investigating the shots fired.