Tuesday, March 19

The 2015 IU football recruiting class to date

So far for the 2015 IU football recruiting class, the Hoosiers have gone heavy on the offensive side of the ball, and will try and improve on 2013’s record breaking offensive unit.

Here’s a breakdown of what the 2015 recruiting class looks like to date.

Joe Belden

3-star defensive end ?

Avon, Ind. ?6-foot-1, 247 pounds

Twitter announcement: “I’m blessed and humbled to say I’ve committed to Indiana University to play football! #CrimsonArmy15”

Belden is one of four in-state recruits in the class, all of whom are from the Indianapolis area. He chose IU despite offers from Ball State, Bowling Green, Miami (Ohio) and Western Michigan. As a high school junior, Belden had 28 solo tackles, 45 total tackles and one fumble recovery.

? Omari Stringer ?3-star safety ?Crete, Ill.?6-foot-4, 205 pounds

Twitter announcement: “I’m committed to Indiana !!!! I’m a Hoosier thank you for all the support. Throughout this process.”

Stringer is the most recent commit for the Hoosiers and the third on the defensive side of the ball. Although Stringer is naturally a strong safety, he has the potential to switch to linebacker as well in IU’s new 3-4 defense with the ability to rush the passer or drop back in coverage. He joins a large core of linebackers in 2015, but could be a huge asset to the defense with his position flexibility.

? Jacob Robinson ?

3-star defensive end ?

Westfield, Ind. ?6-foot-4, 235 pounds

Twitter announcement: “I am extremely excited to say I have committed to play football for the Indiana Hoosiers! #IUFB #B1G #Hoosiers”

Robinson picked IU despite a slew of offers including interest from five other Big Ten schools. In the 2013 season, he had 62 total tackles, 1.5 sacks and 2 fumble recoveries. Robinson’s size should be an advantage with the transition to just a three-person defensive line. He may also see time as an outside linebacker.

Austin Dorris

3-star tight end

Shadyside, Ohio,  6-foot-5, 226 pounds

Twitter announcement: “Words cannot describe how excited I am to announce this, I have committed to Indiana University! #GoHoosiers #IUFB”

Dorris is the first tight end to join the class of 2015. He has spent the past two years of high school flip-flopping between positions and sides of the ball as he’s also lined up as a cornerback, linebacker and even at quarterback his junior year. When he arrives at IU, Dorris might have to transition to being IU’s go-to guy with the graduation of Ted Bolser this past season.

Leon Thornton

3-star wide receiver

Lombard, Ill.  6-foot-1, 195 p ounds

Twitter announcement: “After long discussions my family I plan to continue my college education and football career at Indiana University #Hoosiers”

Thornton is nationally ranked at No. 60 among wide receivers in the class of 2015 and was ranked 11th in the state of Illinois by Rivals.com . During his junior season, Thornton caught 54 passes for 970 yards and 13 touchdowns. IU will likely be looking to rebuild their receiving core in the next couple seasons after losing several top targets to the NFL or graduation this past year.

Brandon Knight

3-star offensive guard

Noblesville, Ind.  6-foot-5, 265 pounds

Twitter announcement: “I’ve Officially Committed to Play Football at Indiana University! #CrimsonArmy15”

Knight is the No. 43 nationally ranked guard in his class. He became the third offensive lineman to commit to the Hoosiers after choosing IU rather than Purdue. Knight will join an experienced offensive line group, including guards Dan Feeney and Jake Reed, who have both seen significant playing time early in their careers.

Tommy Stevens

3-star quarterback

Indianapolis.  6-foot-3, 196 pounds

Twitter announcement: “I’m very excited to announce that I’m committed to Indiana University #HoosierArmy15 #IUFB”

Stevens is the No. 15 nationally ranked quarterback in the 2015 class by ? Rivals.com . His junior year of high school, he threw for 1,596 yards and 13 touchdowns and rushed for seven more. With starting quarterback Nate Sudfeld graduating after Stevens’ freshman year, he will have the opportunity for significant playing time early in his career.

Simon Stepaniak

3-star offensive guard

Hamilton, Ohio,  6-foot-4, 287 pounds

Twitter announcement: “I’m officially an Indiana Hoosier!”

Stepaniak was the first to verbally commit to the Hoosiers on an unofficial visit in early May. With six of nine recruits coming on the offensive side of the ball and a third of his 2015 class so far being offensive linemen, Coach Kevin Wilson shows continuing commitment to building a strong offensive group.

Hunter Littlejohn

3-star offensive guard

Powell, Ohio,  6-foot-5, 285 pounds

Twitter announcement: “Proud and so excited to say that I have officially committed to play football at Indiana University #crimsonarmy15 #GoHoosiers”

Littlejohn chose IU despite offers from several other Big Ten schools, including Illinois, Purdue and Minnesota. He, Stepaniak and Knight will become part of a potent IU offense. In a record-breaking 2013 season, the Hoosiers compiled 6,102 total yards, 38.4 points per game, and averaged more than 200 rushing yards for the first time in school history.