Get cultured

Archaeology

If you want to dig into the history of art or the Bloomington community, explore some of IU’s renowned collections.

For these museums and galleries, admission is free and hours are subject to change.

Visit iub.edu/arts for more information.

IU Art Museum

1133 E. Seventh St.

10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday

Designed by I.M. Pei, the building was constructed so no two walls meet at a right angle.

Don’t miss one of two existing complete sets of the 1964 edition of Marcel Duchamp’s “Readymades.”

The Kinsey Institute 

Gallery

1165 E. Third St., third floor 

of Morrison Hall

1:30 to 5 p.m. Monday 

through Friday

The Kinsey Institute Gallery is a component of the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction.

Because of adult content, visitors under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.

Don’t miss the rotating exhibitions this fall, including Undress Me: Undergarments from the Sage Collection.

Grunwald Gallery of Art

1201 E. Seventh St.

Noon to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday

Part of the Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts, the Grunwald Gallery exhibits work by students, faculty and professional artists as a way for students to not only present art, but learn as well.

Don’t miss opening receptions and artist talks.

Mathers Museum of World Cultures

416 N. Indiana Ave.

9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 1 to 4:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday

Mathers Museum is research center and showcase for culture and the arts from every region of the world, serving as a research resource for students.

Don’t miss the new exhibitions when the museum reopens Aug. 18.

Wylie House Museum

307 E. Second St.

10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday

Restored in 1961, Wylie House Museum houses artifacts from the family of Andrew Wylie, IU’s first president who built the home in 1836.

Don’t miss John Thom’s scenic entry-hall mural depicting 19th-century Indiana and IU’s campus.

Elizabeth Sage Historic Costume Collection

1021 E. Third St., second floor 

of Memorial Hall East

By appointment only

Dedicated to the study of historic costumes, Elizabeth Sage, IU’s first professor of clothing and textiles, donated her collection of costumes and textiles she acquired while traveling.

Don’t miss the button collection and a folding paper advertisement fan for Old Spice.