Kinnaird moves into Hoosier lore

Before Sunday only one Hoosier had ever run 800 meters faster than 1:47.5. Thanks to IU freshman Tre'Tez Kinnaird, it is now a party of two.

Sunday at the IAAF World Junior Championships, Kinnaird ran a 1:47.13 in the 800 meters, second only to former Olympian Jim Spivey in the IU record books.

"The feeling was unexplainable," Kinnaird said. "Just to be able to PR at Hayward Field, in the US at my last meet of the season."

Kinnaird's PR was good enough for a sixth place finish in one of the fastest races in World Junior Championships history. Kenyan teenager Alfred Kipketer won the race with a time of 1:43.95, second fastest in World Junior Championships history.

The only other Kenyan in the competition Joshua Tiampati Masikonde secured second place with a time of 1:45.14.

"I thought the Kenyans were probably going to put on a bit of a show," IU Coach Ron Helmer said. "Did I think it was going to get out in 49.4? No, and I certainly didn't think it was going to finish 1:43."

Kinnaird also said he expected a fast race, but nothing in the range of 1:43.

Helmer said he believes the quick pace was what his young runner needed. Not only did Kinnaird get to experience a race of that quality, he was able to run his fastest in that environment.

"PRing meant a lot," Helmer said. "Prior to that time every PR that he had run, he had run in a winning effort."

In the last month Kinnaird has run a total of five 800 meter races. Two at the USA Junior Championships and three at the World Junior Championships.

"That's five high quality races, particularly the one he ran today," Helmer said. "That's a season of experience right there over the course of a couple weekends."

Kinnaird also learned a great deal in the fast environment he was presented Sunday.

"I learned racing tactics and then just being in a comfort zone," Kinnaird said. "Today was the first time I've been out that fast. It takes a while to be comfortable with that pace and you have to go out there and do it."

Helmer said that Kinnaird's performances in the past month will be important heading into next season, but that he must also tamper his expectations.

"Physically, mentally and emotionally he needs to grow at a pace on par with expectations," Helmer said. "If he lets expectations grow faster than all those other things than he gets in serious trouble."

Helmer said he still wants high expectations to be held for Kinnaird, but does not want Kinnaird to become frustrated that he is not reaching unreachable goals.

As for Kinnaird, he simply wants to be faster.

"I'm looking forward to next year a lot, and just getting faster and dropping the time," Kinnaird said.