Where to stay, what to eat and how to make the most of your time in Bloomington

Your student is all settled into his or her dorm, and you’re driving home in an unloaded minivan. All you can think about is when you’ll get to see your new college student again.

Don’t worry. It’s not too early to start planning your next visit. There are a lot of great places in town. Here are some suggestions to get you started, but there are so many other places to fit your needs.

Where to stay

Biddle Hotel and Conference Center

900 E. Seventh St.

800-209-8145

Want to be in the center of all the IU action? The Biddle Hotel and Conference Center is located on campus inside the Indiana Memorial Union.

The 189-guest accommodation is an easy walk to the IU Auditorium, Kirkwood Avenue and more.

Holiday Inn Bloomington

1710 N. Kinser Pike

812-334-3252

Less than a five-minute drive from Memorial Stadium and Assembly Hall (without game-day traffic), this is a great place to stay when you’re in Bloomington for the big game.

It offers guests an outdoor pool, an exercise facility, a full service restaurant and more.

Grant Street Inn

310 N. Grant St.

812-334-2353

A welcoming bed and breakfast in close proximity to all that Bloomington has to offer, Grant Street Inn is just a 10-minute walk to the Fourth Street restaurants or the IU campus.

All rooms come with a private bath and wireless Internet access. Breakfast is included.

Where to eat

Mother Bear’s Pizza

1428 E. Third St.

812-332-4495

If you have to choose one pizza place, make it Mother Bear’s.

Named “One of America’s Top Nine Pizzerias” by People Magazine, diners can choose from 15 gourmet pizzas or create one of their own.

Salads, wings, pasta and subs are also available.

Fourth Street

415 E. Fourth St.

812-331-0122   

Feeling adventurous? If international cuisine is your thing, Fourth Street is your go-to location with restaurants ranging from Ethiopian to Vietnamese to Turkish.

Nick’s English Hut

423 E. Kirkwood Ave.

812-332-4040

With its distinct cottage-like exterior, this pub and eatery has been a Bloomington tradition since 1927.

Nick’s offers a wide selection of burgers, salads, pizza, stromboli and more, and it is sure to be packed after home games.

Runcible Spoon Café and Restaurant

412 E. Sixth St.

812-334-3997

The warm and inviting Runcible Spoon is just a stone’s throw away from Kirkwood and has been a Bloomington favorite for more than 30 years.

Vegan dishes are available, as is all-day breakfast and coffee roasted on-site.

For more suggestions, visit the IDS dining guide.

What to do

IU Athletics

If your student goes to a Big Ten school, checking out the athletics is a must.

If you can’t score tickets to a men’s basketball or football game, take advantage of the many other free sporting events year-round.

Check out the IU Athletics website, iuhoosiers.com, for schedules and more information.

The Comedy Attic

123 S. Walnut St.

812-336-LAFF

The Comedy Attic sees a number of stand-up comedians throughout the year.

Past performers include Doug Benson, Ben Bailey and the Sklar Brothers, as well as local performers.

The venue also has a free open mic night every Wednesday.

Griffy Lake Nature Preserve

3500 N. Hinkle Road

812-349-3700

Whether your family is full of outdoor enthusiasts or is new to hiking, Griffy Lake Nature Preserve is perfect for anyone who wants to take advantage of the beautiful southern Indiana landscape.

With hiking trails, fishing, boating and even picnicking, Griffy Lake has stunning scenery to enjoy any outdoor activity, and it’s located just minutes from downtown.

For more suggestions on what to do in town, visit our events calendar.