What to expect when Move-in Day arrives

Rose Hall

Your arrival to IU’s campus can be a lot easier if you know what to expect.

That’s why we asked Grace Bower, a resident assistant in Wright Quad, to break down the ins and outs of moving your student into his or her new home away from home.

IDS: What is the parking situation around residence halls during move-in day?

BOWER: To be frank, the parking situation on move-in day can be a little hectic. Most residence halls have a circle drive area that many people utilize to move their student in. Don’t go into Move-in Day blind. It is always best to have a plan and at least be aware of your student’s future surroundings. 

Try to figure out where you can park that would be most convenient to where your student will be living.

On another note, students can move in early for an extra cost.

Although this is an added fee, I would suggest taking advantage of this.

Not only is it less stressful than the scheduled move-in day, but it also gives your student a chance to get acclimated faster.

IDS: What is the check-in process like?

BOWER:  The check-in process is very efficient. We have tried to expedite everything as much as possible.

Generally, students and their parents get hoarded (nicely, of course) in a line that will feed into a common area such as a lounge.

Spirited individuals will greet you and then give you all sorts of information regarding residence hall rules and what-not.

After this, your student may check in. They will simply go to the residence hall center desk and provide their student ID to the individual working.

They will receive their key and be free to go unpack.

If you do not know where your student is living within the residence hall, don’t worry — we have maps for you.

We try to make it as easy as possible. Most residence halls have elevators and also provide dollys for easy move-in.

IDS: Will there be people to help move students in?

BOWER: Possibly. If you encounter the right people. Residential Programs and Services does not orchestrate a cohort of people to do this task, but some student organizations on campus often put together groups of people to help students move in and also get the word out about their group.

I would say that it is truly up to chance to run into someone who is there to help move.

As I mentioned before, we provide things that may make move-in a little easier, such as dolly carts. 

IDS: Can we move things inside the room when we get there? 

BOWER: While the furniture, may be in a specific arrangement when you arrive, you are certainly free to move things around.

Please, please, please try to keep everything in the room, though.

We understand that the rooms can be small, but putting furniture in the hallway only makes it harder for others to move in.

We also do not allow anyone to put any furniture item in storage. Whatever comes in the room needs to stay there.

If your student wants their bed lofted or unlofted, please call the Bed Loft company.

You can ask your student’s resident assistant or the individuals working at the desk for this number and instructions on what to do.

IDS: What should we do after?

BOWER: After you have exhausted yourselves hauling everything in and putting the finishing touches on your student’s room, RELAX!

Feel free to ask your student’s resident assistant any questions you may have. We are there for a reason.

Take a break, grab some water (which some resident assistants provide in the hallways) and grab a bite to eat.

Offer to walk around campus with your student. Do whatever you need to do to make them feel comfortable.

Leave if they want you to!

Most importantly, don’t worry.

Each residence center is equipped with a very professional student staff that is there to help your student with any issues that they may encounter along the way.

Always know that each center has multiple resident assistants, graduate supervisors and one residence manager, who oversees everything.

We are all here to help foster a welcoming environment for your student.

Last, be excited for this new adventure in their life!

Other tips

Pack in small manageable containers or bags.

Bring personal rolling cart if space in your vehicle allows.

Avoid moving in at the same time as your student’s roommate.

Dress comfortably and drink plenty of water — it’s August in the Midwest.

After receiving your student’s room key, have him or her get in the habit of keeping it in a convenient place (a lanyard or key chain can be helpful).

If moving onto a high floor, use stairs when possible, but be patient when waiting for elevators.

For more information, dates for standard move-in and the link for early move-in registration, visit the online Move-In Guide at rps.indiana.edu/mig.cfml. 

Keep updated on the possibility of construction delays. 

Be aware of loading zones. Many residence halls allot a maximum time to park near the curbs. Unload your gear and park the car in a lot.

Plan on attending one of two Freshman Induction Ceremonies, at either 2 p.m. or 4 p.m. Students and parents can RSVP.

Keep updated on Welcome Week events with the IU First Year Experiences Program’s Facebook page.