Weighing the best options in transportation

Bikes

With the expansive IU campus, students might feel overwhelmed when it comes to getting from one place to another.

We’re providing you with some options on how you can help them get going safely, even from far away.

Buses

IU offers five campus bus routes that will take students to anywhere they need to go.

A bus trip can be quick or lengthy, so your Hoosier should develop a regular routine according to what time his or her class begins.

Sometimes buses are early or late. Plan accordingly.

There is even the Night Owl bus so your student doesn’t have to travel on foot during late hours.

For more information on the campus bus service, check out iubus.indiana.edu.

Additionally, there is a public transit that will allow your student to go off campus for food or entertainment.

There are at least 14 different routes that stop at major apartment complexes, the College Mall and the downtown area. 

With a student ID, your student rides free. 

Check out more information at bloomingtontransit.com/.

Cars

Cars can be useful if your student wants to leave campus for food or entertainment.

For example, the movie theater on College Mall Road is a further distance, but the city bus can also do the job.

Students who bring cars have the option of purchasing E and F parking permits or residential parking permits.

E and F permits only allow your student to park in designated spots on campus that are marked with the same letters. This includes parking in the football stadium parking lot, but the cars will need to be moved for game days.

Residential parking permits, D passes, only allow parking at residence halls.

Residential permits are purchased through Residential Programs and Services, not parking operations.

Parking spaces are limited, and spaces near academic buildings are almost never offered to students.

Other parking permits can be purchased online through campus parking operations.

Parking in a designated area without a parking permit can result in a $50 ticket.

For information about parking permits, spaces and other rules about having a car on campus, check out parking.indiana.edu.

Bikes

Bikes are the fastest method when traveling to and from classes.

They can be locked in many campus locations, including outside most academic buildings, residence halls, the Indiana Memorial Union and the Student Recreational Sports Center.

Keep in mind, though, that bikes must be properly registered through IU Parking Operations.

Those parked in campus racks also need a properly-displayed bike permit, which can be purchased for a one-time fee of $10.

Bloomington is bike-friendly. Several major roads have bike lanes to increase biker safety so as to avoid pedestrians on the sidewalk.

Walking

Walking to class may take the most time when traveling, but almost everywhere on campus is less than a 20-minute walk.

A student will often have several classes offered in the same area, so walking is not strenuous.

Walking can also be an effective way to take in the campus and its sights. Several paths just inside the Sample Gates, the official entrance to the campus, offer a scenic walk through a wooded area.

If your student is walking to class, remind him or her to check the day’s weather forecast.

Nobody wants to get caught walking in the rain without an umbrella. Also be sure your student brings gear to prepare for all weather, especially rain and snow.

To find the best route for your student when walking or biking to class, a campus map can be found at iub.edu/~iubmap/.

Airport travel

For students planning to go out of town, IU and Bloomington offer a variety of options for travel.

There are a number of cab companies located in Bloomington, which offer rides anywhere students need to go.

A cheaper option is the shuttle services that run through Bloomington.

Both Go Express Shuttle and Star of America Shuttle offer trips from Bloomington to the Indianapolis International Airport. For more information, visit goexpresstravel.com and soashuttle.com.