IU sports to watch

IUWBB

So you know about Assembly Hall and the five championship banners. By now, you get it — the men’s basketball team is sort of a big deal here.

But IU has 24 NCAA Division I teams. And, with the exception of football and men’s basketball, all home games are free with your student ID.

Wth all those teams, how should you spend your time? Here’s a look at some of the other teams you should check out this year.

Water polo

This past season, IU’s water polo team won the Collegiate Water Polo Association’s Western Division Championship for the second time in school history.

The team advanced to the NCAA tournament, where it finished seventh. The Hoosiers were the highest finishing team east of the Mississippi River.

Football

One fumble on the 9-yard line by running back Tevin Coleman separated IU’s football team from going to its first bowl since 2007. 

The team features one of the best offenses in the country under Coach Kevin Wilson, and it brings back both of their quarterbacks, Nate Sudfeld and Tre Roberson, for the 2014 season as the Hoosiers try again to become bowl eligible. 

Baseball

Never before has IU baseball played this well. During the 2013 season, they became ranked for the first time in the school’s 118-year history and made it to their first College World Series appearance ever. 

During the 2014 season, the Hoosiers opened the year as the No. 3 team in the country and clinched back-to-back Big Ten titles to play in the tournament for a chance at another World Series berth. 

Women’s basketball

They are coming off their best start in school history. The IU women’s team started the 2013-14 season 14-0 and went to the Elite 8 in the WNIT.

With star recruit Tyra Buss coming in and guard Larryn Brooks coming back for her sophomore season, this team is sure to rival the men’s in terms of wins this season.

Men’s soccer

The men’s soccer program is possibly the most prestigious program not only at IU, but in the nation.

Coaching legend Jerry Yeagley made IU a dynasty by winning six national championships during his 40-year tenure.

His son, Todd Yeagley, has continued the tradition as coach. He won a national championship in 2012, and, after a down year in 2013, when the Hoosiers got bounced from the NCAA tournament early, they will be back.

Also, the crowds at Bill Armstrong Stadium are rumored to be one of the most rowdy and loudest crowds in the nation.