Infected Indiana patient improving

The condition of the patient diagnosed with the first known U.S. case of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) is improving, according to the Indiana Department of Health.

The patient was diagnosed early last week in the Community Hospital in Munster, Ind., and health care officials said no new cases have been reported since, according to an Indy Star article.

The patient, a health care provider who was working in Saudi Arabia, traveled from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, to London, and then from London to Chicago April 24. The patient took a bus from Chicago to Indiana.

Symptoms began April 27, including shortness of breath, coughing and fever. The patient was admitted to an Indiana hospital April 28.

The Centers for Disease Control confirmed MERS-CoV infection the afternoon of May 2. At that time, the patient was isolated and in stable condition but required oxygen.

Of the 401 confirmed cases of MERS-CoV infection in 12 countries, 93 were reported dead. All reported cases originated in the Arabian Peninsula, according to the CDC report.

MERS-CoV has an incubation period of two to 14 days and requires close contact to be spread, health care officials said.

Health care workers helping the patient were isolated after the virus was diagnosed and have all tested negative for the disease, health care officials said.

At the moment, there is no vaccine or recommended treatment for the virus.

M.K. Wildeman and Sarah Zinn