Culture clash on the diamond

"Million Dollar Arm" is genuine and touching

“Million Dollar Arm” is a tale of one man’s livelihood hinging on the improbable task of transforming two Indian teenagers into major league pitchers.
The most daunting task is plucking those two Indian teenagers, hurling them into a foreign culture and expecting them to thrive without an adequate support system.
This is a quasi-sports film that appeals to all demographics.
It’s an entertaining baseball drama that shows the personal journey, replete with hardships and awkwardness, of two Indian teens trying to acculturate into the United States and be molded into Major League Baseball pitchers in less than a year.
This real-life story makes a seamless and beautiful transition onto the big screen.
Jon Hamm plays the main character, J.B. Bernstein, who is a Los Angeles sports agent whose firm and career are in limbo.
Hamm turns in an unimpressive performance as Bernstein, a stiff sports agent who cares solely about business.
Hamm fails to personalize his role, as he remains formulaic and dry throughout the film. His character is naturally obnoxious and selfish.
Fortunately, Amit, his Indian assistant, introduces a vibrant personality and counters Bernstein’s surliness.
Bernstein reaches an epiphany as he flips back and forth between Susan Boyle enchantingly singing “I Dreamed a Dream” on “Britain’s Got Talent” and an Indian cricket match.
He decides to conduct a competition in India searching for a cricket bowler with an arm explosive enough to become a Major League pitcher.
Similar to “Slumdog Millionaire,” there’s an allure to witnessing Bernstein conduct his contest in India.
We’re privy to a small insight to Indian culture.
“Million Dollar Arm” hits the road resembling more of a carnival than a contest seeking legitimate major league talent.
Despite successive failures and witnessing an innumerable amount of noodle arms, this tour de India is charming and amusing as an uncommon trio travel together.
Whether it’s Bernstein’s scout Ray (Alan Arkin) in an everlasting slumber or the eager and effervescent Amit, they provide a much-needed balance to Bernstein’s frigid personality.
Madhur Mittal, known for his role in “Slumdog Millionaire,” and Suraj Sharma, who starred in “Life of Pi,” are the two main Indian characters.
They do a sensational job translating and internalizing their emotions as they transition from India to the U.S.
The Indian teens are hurled into a culture shock, forced to navigate the chaotic and fast-paced culture without the tangible support of their families.
In addition to the cultural and baseball elements of the film, a quasi-love story buds.
Bernstein comes to like his tenant, Brenda (Lake Bell).
The two finally connect only after Bernstein brings Brenda an elaborate mini Taj Mahal back from India and realizes she is dating a chiseled hunk.
Ironically, Brenda grows to care more about the Indian teenagers than Bernstein.
While I agree with the sentiment that the film is predictable, I emphatically reject the sentiment that this film is clichéd.
It’s a feel-good story that everyone will enjoy.