arts performances

Comedy Central’s Lawrence makes Bloomington debut

Comedian Mike Lawrence made his debut at the Comedy Attic Thursday night.

Lawrence’s repertoire includes his two appearances on “John Oliver’s New York Stand-up Show,” his own episode of the Half Hour, and his set on Conan.

Comedy Attic owner Jared Thompson said he has also become one of the biggest guest stars on Comedy Central’s @midnight.

Lawrence’s specific and interesting voice in comedy is what drew the Comedy Attic to book him, Thompson said.

“Number one, you have to be funny, but so many people are funny, so you also have to have something to stand apart,” Thompson said. “Mike was it.”

IU graduate Lauren Flores heard of Lawrence about a year ago, she said.

“I like Mike because of the age range he appeals to,” he said.  “A lot of his jokes are things I would joke with my friends about.”

Lawrence got his start primarily by doing open mic nights, he said.

“I worked at McDonald’s and made people laugh there,” he said, “And if you can make those people laugh, you can do anything.”

Attendee James Stout had heard of Lawrence, but had never seen him live, he said.

“I was looking for something new, a new experience and I had free tickets so I decided to come,” he said.

Thompson said he had been keeping tabs on Lawrence and waiting for the opportune time to bring him to the club. A lot of comedians who come to the Comedy Attic rave about Lawrence, Thompson said.

“We keep the week-to-week lineup so it feels like you’re reading a novel,” Thompson said. “We don’t want it to seem like the same thing every time they go.”

With graduation this weekend, Thompson said the crowd might dwindle, but those who are lovers of comedy will continue to show.

“A comedy lover who’s graduating will probably still come,” he said.

Flores has been to many Comedy Attic shows since she graduated from IU two years ago.

“I went to IU then never left,” she said. “This town has that effect on people.”

Local James Stout also frequents the Comedy Attic since his cousin discovered the venue and recommended it to him.

“I come a lot to do open mic,” he said, “and at the last show I came to, they gave me free tickets for three more shows.”

The club generally does well when parents are in town, Thompson said.

“It’s kind of a middle ground between the bars and hanging out with parents,” he added.

Lawrence said one of the best parts about comedy is the people he gets to talk to.

“I was a really lonely, awkward kid,” he said, “and now I get to have fun and connect with people I normally wouldn’t have the confidence to talk to.”

While in town, Lawrence visited some local shops, he said.

“I went to the comic shop today, the Phoenix, and I went to the Kroger and did some people watching and some binge eating,” he said. 

Thompson said he feels confident about the success of the show.

“From what I’ve seen, there’s no question the show will stand out,” Thompson said.