student life

Asian Culture Center addresses mental health

Confidential counseling will be available this summer though a partnership between The IU Asian Culture Center and the School of Education’s Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology.

Although the ACC has offered counseling in different formats before, this summer will be the first time they will have staff interns available in the building.

Melanie Castillo-Cullather, director of the ACC, said she believes there’s a need for accessible counseling services in the Asian and Asian-American community.

“There is a host of reasons why people don’t seek counseling, and one of the biggest obstacles is stigma,” Castillo-Cullather said.

According to a report by the National Alliance on Mental Illness in 2011, shame is often the reason Asian-Americans do not seek mental care.

The report also acknowledged the lack of access to health -care as another factor behind the phenomenon.

“We would like for people to see the ACC as one of the spaces that they can come to for this type of service,” Castillo-Cullather said.

“By making it a part of the ACC’s identity, it would eventually help break any obstacles to seeking this type of help.”

ACC intern counselor Rose Xu said she hopes the counseling services will help students grow personally.

“As a counselor, my role is to be here and assist my clients to achieve their goals for themselves,” Xu said.

“We’d really like to see people in need get the help they want. We are here to support in a understanding and non-judgmental environment.”

Castillo-Cullather hopes to continue this service all year because it benefits clients and provides professional training to the intern counselors.

The free confidential counseling service will be available until July 31.

Walk-in hours will soon be determined for Mondays and Wednesdays, and the services are available by appointment Monday through Friday.