Theater group to premiere musical tonight

IU’s undergraduate theater group, the University Players, will premiere its last show of the 2013-14 year, “35mm: A Musical Exhibition.”

Performances will take place at 8 p.m. April 10-12 with an additional show at 11 p.m. April 11 in the Studio Theater of the IU Department of Theatre, Drama and Contemporary Dance. All shows have free admission.

“35mm” is a multimedia musical that plays to the idea of an exhibition through 16 photographs. These photos are accompanied by songs that explore the human condition.

The show was created by Ryan Scott Oliver, who was inspired by photographs shot by Matthew Murphy.

“We decided to go with this particular play because it was something cutting edge, fresh and edgy,” said Sam Ostrowski, a director of the show and an Indiana Daily Student columnist. “The play was crazy and unlike anything I have previously encountered with how fun it was to find blend genres of people singing and music playing.”

Ostrowski said the group’s board of directors chose to perform “35mm” because of its comedic and distinct display.

“Each photograph in the exhibition is a story within itself,” Ostrowski said. “We had to find out how well this will be received with the audience since they would be expecting a traditional theater experience when we will be giving them something else.”

The music in the show will play to vignettes with themes including an awkward start to a new relationship, a male nanny caring for a bratty child and a high school wannabe prom queen causing malicious trouble.

Actors in the show said they enjoyed the show’s difficult format of a song cycle telling stories with many different characters for each scene segment.

“It was a great challenge to do a show with no dialogue and to know that these characters and stories had to be expressed only through song,” said Claire Drews, an actress in the production.

“For me, it was tricky to be playing numerous characters throughout the show and to establish character during a three-minute song, which in the end really helped me to grow as a performer.”

Several of the actors who took part in the production also praised Ostrowski’s direction and assistance that helped them bring “35mm” to the stage.

“Sam was incredible with how he came in with such a clear concept of what the show should be, and then it just happened,” said actress Samantha Schiffman. “This show is about the storytelling, and we have to be so vulnerable to do the stories justice. And Sam really helped tell the stories finding unique things about each character in the play.”