Task force implements new prescription rules

A workshop Friday at IU Health Bloomington helped physicians adjust to new state rules for prescribing addictive pain medication.

The event was organized by Indiana’s Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention Task Force. The workshop was intended to address Indiana’s prescription drug abuse epidemic, according to a press release from the Indiana attorney general’s office.

A study by Trust for America’s Health reported deaths due to overdoses have quadrupled in the last 15 years.

“Today’s workshop is one of many taking place across the state to help ensure physicians understand and comply with the new prescribing rule adopted by the Medical Licensing Board,” Attorney General Greg Zoeller said in the release.

“The new rule addresses the prescribing of pain medication for patients who have chronic, non-terminal pain in hopes of stemming the tides of addiction, doctor shopping and overprescribing.”

Task force recommendations led the Indiana General Assembly to pass legislation charging the Medical Licensing Board to develop the new regulations.

According to the release, two emergency rules were put in place.

The first developed new rules ensuring patients are well-informed about their prescriptions, and the second allows the attorney general’s office to inspect physician records in overprescribing cases.

The Prescription Drug Abuse Task Force is comprised of legislators, law enforcement, health officials, pharmacists, state and local agencies and education providers.

Zoeller commissioned the task force due to a growing number of instances “involving health professionals caught diverting drugs, overprescribing or fraudulently writing prescriptions,” according to the release.

M.K. Wildeman