Pence’s travels lead to German investment

ciRegion

Gov. Mike Pence ended a week-long trip to Germany with the announcement of a third German company locating some operations in Indiana.

Pence, first lady Karen Pence and representatives of the Indiana Economic Development Corporation met with the German companies, which together promised more than $5 million in investment and jobs in the state.

“I am encouraged for the future of Indiana with the successful meetings we have already held in just a few days’ time here in Germany,” Pence said in a press release after the third day of the trip. “We are gaining knowledge of what Indiana can do to build upon its established position as a leading location for foreign direct investment.”

The economic investment is coming from three German companies.

DOT, an orthopedics company, plans to invest $4.5 million and create about 20 jobs in Columbia City, Ind., near Fort Wayne.

NORRES, an industrial hose manufacturer plans to invest $1.9 million in South Bend, creating 30 jobs there.

Jäger Group, which supplies rubber, plastics and metal components, will expand to La Porte, Ind., investing $4.5 million and creating about 50 jobs.

“When selecting a location for growth, company executives often narrow down their choices based on what they know, so trips like this are designed to make sure they know Indiana,” Pence said in a release.

Representatives from Pence’s office and the IEDC could not be reached for comment due to the state government’s closure Friday in observance of Good Friday.

This is Pence’s second foreign trip since being sworn in as governor in January 2013. He led a delegation to Japan in September along with the IEDC.

Gov. Mitch Daniels, Pence’s predecessor, led several trips of this kind as well.

“After traveling across Germany this week, I feel a rush of excitement for the future of Indiana,” Pence said. “Germany appreciates the uniquely Hoosier talent of developing and building the products that drive growth and spark innovation.”