IU Opera and Ballet Theater announces its next season 'Go Boldly'

IU Opera and Ballet Theater has announced its 66th season “Go Boldly,” which will feature six operas and three ballets. Subscriptions go on sale April 28. Single tickets go on sale Sept. 2, except for “The Nutcracker,” which will go on sale Nov. 4.

OPERA

“The Italian Girl in Algiers”

When 8 p.m. Sept. 19-20, 26-27

This Italian opera is a comedy about a young Italian girl named Isabella. She is captured in a shipwreck by pirates and taken to the leader of Algiers to be considered for marriage.

The leader, Mustafà, already has a wife and has enslaved Isabella’s fiancé. Isabella tries to outwit Mustafà in order to escape Algiers and return home.
Sung in Italian with English supertitles 

“La Bohème”

When 8 p.m. Oct. 17-18, 24-25 and 2 p.m. Oct 19

“La Bohème” follows the romance of poet Rodolfo and seamstress Mimi. In Act III, the two independently decide to separate. Mimi thinks Rodolfo has become too jealous, and Rodolfo fears for Mimi’s health — which he believes poverty has made worse.

“The Last Savage”

When 8 p.m. Nov. 14-15, 21 and 7 p.m. Nov. 20

This production makes its IU Opera debut this season. Anthropology student Kitty is searching for a primitive man who has not experienced modern society to use for her project. Kitty’s parents want her to give up her studies and marry a wealthy leader. To avoid this, Kitty hires a local peasant to act as her project study, until she actually falls in love with him.

Sung in English with English supertitles

“Alcina”

When 8 p.m. Feb. 6-7, 13-14

“Alcina” is set on a magical island ruled by two sister-sorceresses, Morgana and Alcina.

Each knight that ventures to the island is seduced by Alcina, who transforms them into stones, animals or plants after growing tired of them.
Eventually a knight comes that Alcina falls madly in love with, but he rejects her — much to her shock.

“South Pacific”

When 8 p.m. Feb. 27-28, March 6-7 and 2 p.m. March 1

“South Pacific” is based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning 1947 book, “Tales of the South Pacific.”

‘The opera follows an American nurse as she falls in love with a Frenchman and struggles to accept and love his mixed-race children.

At the same time, a U.S. Lieutenant and Tonkinese woman face the difficult consequences of their marriage.

The opera explores themes of racial prejudice and acceptance on a South Pacific island during World War II.

“The Magic Flute”

When 8 p.m. April 10-11, 17-18

“The Magic Flute” returns to IU this season, telling a tale of good and evil.

Newlyweds Pamina and Tamino work to gain enlightenment.

Along the way, they are influenced by the evil Queen of the Night and bird catcher Papageno. The opera also features a dragon and colorful puppets.

Sung in German with English dialogue and supertitles

BALLET

Fall Ballet

When 8 p.m. Oct. 3-4, additional performance at 2 p.m. Oct. 4

This three-part ballet features work from three famous ballet choreographers.

The first part of next season’s fall ballet is, “Emeralds,” the first act of George Balanchine’s ballet, “Jewels.”

The second section, “Dark Elegies,” explores the emotion of losing children.

The third and final part, called “The Envelope,” is a comedic dance to the tune of light and melodic music.

The Nutcracker

When 7 p.m. Dec. 4, 8 p.m. Dec. 5, 2 and 8 p.m. Dec. 6,

2 p.m. Dec. 7

One of the most popular ballets of all time and a regular season show for Jacobs, “The Nutcracker” is a classic Christmas story. Clara receives a nutcracker for Christmas.

Falling asleep with it in her arms, she awakes to a new world where her Nutcracker has grown to a full-size prince. She follows him to his kingdom where she meets sugar plum fairies and evil mice.

Spring Ballet

When 8 p.m. March 27-28, additional performance at

2 p.m. March 28

Like the Fall Ballet, the Spring Ballet is sectioned into three different ballets.

The first part is the second act of Swan Lake, choreographed by George Balanchine, which tells the tale of a princess who was turned into a swan by an evil sorcerer.

The second ballet is “Duets,” which features a set of dances for six couples. The final part is jazz ballet “Rubies,” which is the second act of Balanchine’s production “Jewels,” continuing from the spring ballet.

Allison Graham