arts travel

Column: Reverse culture shock

entTravel

When I first arrived in Paris, a small clothing store always caught my eye as I walked to my favorite boulangerie.

I remember the store went through a sale season in February, and then it marked its prices down this past month as it prepared to close.

Now, there are no longer any sweaters stacked on the tables or mannequins dressed to the nines standing in the windows.

The furniture is stacked, and the walls are bare. The store has officially closed.
As I walked past that empty clothing store, I realized how long I have been here, how quickly time has passed and how soon I will be returning home.

Like many students currently living abroad, this week marks the end of my stay in Paris.

While it’s expected that students experience culture shock upon arriving in their host countries, it might come as a surprise to some when students experience reverse culture shock upon returning home.

In between the moments of stress during my finals week, I am overcome with nostalgia for Paris.

There is a certain sense of achievement that comes from successfully living in a foreign country.

When I first arrived, I would run through my coffee order at least five times in my head before speaking out loud in French.

Now, it comes naturally. I’ve stopped translating every interaction. I hear in French, and I respond in French.

I’ve grown used to my daily visits to the boulangerie.

I’ve come to enjoy taking time out of my day to sit down and enjoy a full meal, and I’m finally able to navigate the Metro by memory.

As uncomfortable as I first felt when I arrived in Paris, I’m surprised at how natural it now feels to be here. Regardless, all good things come to an end.

Just as everyone reacts to being in a foreign country differently, each individual deals with returning home differently.

Many students experience boredom, have difficulty articulating their experience abroad to friends and family at home, have feelings of alienation, develop critical views of their home country, etc.

Consider how you will share your experience with others. There will be people who will eagerly listen and try to understand, while others will only want the highlights.

Don’t be discouraged by people’s disinterest. Remember your friends and family back home have also undergone change, so reciprocate by listening to their experiences.
Time abroad is always exciting. It serves as a challenge and a fresh change from the ordinary.

But returning to normal life does not have to be dull.

Recall the obstacles that were present and overcome while studying abroad, as well as the risks that were taken, and transfer that attitude to daily life.

Don’t forget — adventure happens at home, too.

anukumar@indiana.edu
@AnuKumar23