education

Bloomington organizations offer summer camps

The Monroe County Community School Corporation has released a guide for families to learn about summer opportunities available for their children.

The guide, which features more than 50 pages of information about summer activities, can be accessed online.

Girls Inc. offers both Camp Red Fox and a summer volleyball season for girls.
Lucy Berger, director of operations, said Girls Inc. has been working with girls in Monroe County since 1975.

Berger said Girls Inc. wants to inspire girls in Bloomington by offering activities and after school programs, such as intramural sports. Berger said the organization serves girls of all backgrounds, not just the underprivileged.

Girls must be members of Girls Inc. to participate in programs, Berger said. About 550 girls in Monroe County are members of Girls Inc.

Summer camps give children something to do when they are not in school, Berger said.

“We provide a safe, girl-friendly environment in the summertime,” Berger said.

She said the camp includes activities such as hiking and field trips to IU and Indianapolis. Each week of the camp has a different theme.

Girls ages 12 and older who participate in the Red Fox Camp also have the opportunity to participate in science activities. They will have the opportunity to travel to Marble Hill Farm in southern Monroe County to learn about animals and the environment.

Berger said girls about 12 years old are less likely to participate in activities seen as unfeminine and start to shy away from the fields of science and math.

Berger said the camps give girls an opportunity to get their hands dirty — both literally and metaphorically.

The Bloomington Boys and Girls Club also offers summer events for kids at their Lincoln Street center.

Audrey Hall-Pine is the director of Camp Rock. Two other programs, one full-day and one half-day, are also offered at the Lincoln Street center.

Hall-Pine said these programs give children the opportunity to interact with their peers and gain exposure to positive adult role models.

Hall-Pine said the mission of the Boys and Girls Club is to help all kids reach their full potential and become caring citizens.

For kids participating in Camp Rock, most of the day is spent at Lake Lemon in Unionville. Students participate in fishing, boating, swimming, kayaking, archery and other sports.

Hall-Pine said the camp takes kids to a calming, beautiful environment and gives them the chance to learn skills they otherwise might not be able to.

Camp Rock is accredited by the American Camp Association.

Hall-Pine said she likes that the camp helps kids develop their character and puts them in an environment where they can take risks and make mistakes.

Twenty-four new spots will be added to the camp this year so more children can participate. Hall-Pine said she thinks the community feels the same way about the camp as she does.

“We feel strongly that we provide a high-quality experience,” Hall-Pine said.

Some other organizations that offer programs for children are IU’s School of Informatics and Computing, Ivy Tech Community College, Bradford Woods and WonderLab Museum of Science, Health and Technology.

Those interested in summer programs can find more information at mccsc.edu/summer2014.