American Eagle gets real

WE SAY: Even if it's a gimmick, it's a step in a better direction.

American Eagle has launched an ad campaign called Aerie Real, which features models without airbrushing. It claims this is in an attempt to foster healthier body image among its teenaged market.

Though the Editorial Board is cynical about the sincerity of Aerie’s motives, we do appreciate that it’s a step in the right direction.

Airbrushing and photoshopping have become high-profile problems in the advertising industry, especially when talking about products marketed toward women. Models are thinned, stretched and perfected under a computer mouse, and women in the real world are expected to meet those standards of beauty in their everyday lives.

These expectations and inevitable failures understandably lead to serious problems like body shaming and eating disorders.

Aerie’s 2014 underwear campaign is an attempt to dispel the illusion of the perfect-looking woman. The models are not airbrushed, meaning their tattoos, cellulite, freckles and any other minute imperfections are left visible to the casual viewer. This is definitely a step in a better direction.

The truth is, it still isn’t enough. The Editorial Board, however, hopes this will lead to more serious marketing shifts in the advertising industry. Even with these progressive campaign, criticisms can still be made.

The models used in the advertisements are not photoshopped, but are still so heavily stylized — and, of course, naturally beautiful — that it is almost ridiculous to think that they would need to be.

The imperfections Aerie wants credit for displaying are still barely visible, because the women they have chosen are all still slim, streamlined and traditionally beautiful. These are professionally beautiful women that the public is being told represent every woman.

Of course it needs to be said this is, after all, an advertisement. The clothes in the photo are being sold, so it is beneficial to the company to present them in their most attractive light — which means makeup and flattering lighting. That reasoning is, after all, how this image of the “perfect woman” began.

We understand the likelihood of Aerie starting this campaign simply to be a good influence on young girls is doubtful at best. It’s much more likely companies like American Eagle are recognizing the trend in advertising towards promoting acceptance and natural beauty, which is likely why they’ve jumped on the bandwagon hoping to earn a buck.

Though this might be ethically questionable, it’s something we’ve come to expect from corporations.

Despite these hang-ups, advertisements that celebrate the bodies of average women are still better than what we’ve seen in the past. Perhaps they will serve as a catalyst for stronger, more effective and genuine reform in the future.

If the effect of the body-positivity advertising bandwagon is actually better body positivity for young girls and women, then perhaps dealing with Aerie’s profit-driven motives is the lesser of two evils.

­opinion@idsnews.com
@ids_opinion