sports softball

Softball earns first win in 13 games

The IU softball team entered the Wildcat Invitational looking to turn its luck around,  after starting the season with just one win through the first three weekends of the season.

Although the Hoosiers lost to No. 10 Arizona and Longwood, IU secured its first win in 13 games against UT Arlington.

In what was a back-and-forth game, the Hoosiers pulled out the victory 8-5.

UT Arlington got on the board in the top of the first inning after an IU throwing error.

IU responded quickly, putting its first run of the game on the board early after senior infielder Shelby Gogreve hit an RBI single in the bottom of the second inning.

The Hoosiers’ lead was erased in the third inning when Mavericks sophomore outfielder Britnea Barilli hit a solo home run to bring the score to 2-1.

In the bottom half of the third inning, IU knotted the game at two after scoring on a fielding error.

The score continued to go back and fourth when UT Arlington brought a runner across the plate in the top of the fourth inning.

In the next half inning, IU freshman infielder Natalie Lalich helped give IU the first lead of the game. Lalich hit a double on the fifth pitch of the at-bat to drive in two runs.

After the Mavericks tied the game in the sixth inning with a solo home run, IU sophomore pitcher Brooke Boetjer came in relief for junior pitcher Lora Olsen.

In 5.2 innings pitched, Olsen allowed three earned runs and nine hits while striking out a season-high five batters.

With the bases loaded in the bottom of the sixth inning, Lalich stepped up to the plate.
Lalich struck again, this time hitting a grand slam over the right-center field wall to give IU an 8-4 lead.

The Mavericks scored one run in the top of the final inning, but it wasn’t enough as IU landed its second victory of the season.

Lalich led the scoring attack with six runs batted in, which is the second most in a single game in program history.

Saturday, the Hoosiers were unable to repeat its success from Friday, falling to Longwood 7-2.

Longwood’s scoring efforts started early, as they were able to send seven runners across the plate in the first four innings of the game.

For the Lancers, sophomore infielder Carly Adams and junior outfielder Chelsea Sciacca each has three RBIs on the day.

IU didn’t bring a runner across the plate until the top of the sixth inning.

Lalich hit an RBI single for the first IU run while junior outfielder Brianna Meyer scored the second run of the inning off of a sacrifice fly from freshman first baseman CaraMia Tsirigos.

The second game of IU’s double-header against Valparaiso was postponed until next week due to rain.

Sunday, the Hoosiers fell to No. 10 Arizona 9-1.

Senior infielder Breanna Saucedo scored the lone run for the Hoosiers in the opening inning off of a two-out walk.

The Wildcats fired back quickly, scoring off of a two-run home run in the following half of the inning.

Arizona added seven more runs in the next four innings to end the game due to the NCAA Mercy Rule.